Which certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome!!!!! If/when I go for my DM, it will be with him.

Tell MB "hermit Crab" says Hi. He'll understand... :)

I think you need to learn the tables as part of your training.

That said, I hated using them, and as soon as the 1st computers came out in the '80's I bought one - the Edge; also owned its smaller cousin, the Skinneydipper.

I would NEVER dive w/ the tables, and Fritz is correct that in the real world you see few diving w/out computers.

My backup computer was all of about $180 so the money should not be a major issue.

And back to the thread - I think you can receive quality instruction through most any agency and the instructor is the key - the "best" agency w/ the wost instructor is not a situation you want to be in.

RE: tables

You won't get through the Nitrox course without knowing tables. In great detail...

PADI has pretty much moved from tables to the eRDP. This, in my view, is a huge injustice to the students. Among other things, the calculator doesn't provide RNT. And there's no easy method to look at how long you have to SIT to get to a particular pressure group versus some other pressure group. 'What if' questions are a lot more cumbersome.

I'm quite happy that I know, and can still use, the tables.

Richard

I didn't learn the tables until I took my Nitrox course. I'm glad I did. Before, all I knew was the eRDP. I have found that tables are so much easier and faster to use.

As for computers, I just use my computer as depth gauge, bottom timer, and an ascent meter. I use a sensus ultra as a primary logging tool and it doubles as good backup. Ultimately, I depend on my tables and will never blindly trust a computer.

It's like taking a math class from some old-timer who insists on everyone using a slide rule, whereas SDI is operating in the 21st century.

Jump, boy! Jump! Do this table exercise! Good diver! Now here's your cert...

Yea right. :shakehead:

Like the kid's that can't make change unless the terminal tells them what to hand back. When the lights go out not being dependent on electronics is always good. Time with tables will give you a perspective the computer won't.

Pete

Tell me Fritz, can you explain the underlying principles of decompression theory? Do you know what an "M-Value" and a Surfacing Ratio is? If you don't, it really does not matter if you use a set of tables or a dive computer ... you really do not know what you are doing or why you are doing it, you are just on another trust me dive and it really does not matter if the information controlling you dive is expressed in the form of a series of snap shots (tables) or as an animated cartoon (computer), all you can do is what you are told. If, on the other hand, you do understand those things (and a few more) then it also does not matter which you use, because you'll find them equally easy to operate.

OK, this is the New Divers forum and I've already gotten into this enough. I think the OP has heard enough opinions to make his own decision.

I said that weeks ago now. We could bring up all these table vs. computer issues (again) in another post in the advanced section, but they don't belong here anymore.

Then might I respectfully suggest that you do not comment on them here?

The comments were germane at the time (before the OP chose his instructor), but not anymore since the choice has been made. True to my word, I had not brought it up or responded since, until I was directly addressed, and then I attempted to deflect the conversation away. This is all I will say on the matter here; might I respectfully suggest you do likewise.

I am interested in getting certified...i live in south florida, boca raton to be exact, i have gone to two dive shops already to get information on getting certified...i have the option of getting PADI, SDI or NAUI... PADI and SDI are online, and the NAUI is 2 classroom sessions 4 hours each...i need help deciding which certification to get. any info would be great...thanks!

While you will find many opinions on this topic. Talk with the local dive shops and find the one that you feel comfortable with. Also Walter makes a recommendation that also leads you to another source to meet with. Online classes are great, in person classes offer you the ability to ask questions and listen to the questions being asked from others.

Back
Top Bottom