Which course to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy_j_briggs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I did my Open Water course about 6 months ago, but have not done any diving since. My local dive club in the UK uses drysuits exclusively for UK dives so it looks like I'll have to do at least a drysuit orientation, however I reckon I'd be better going a bit further by doing either my advanced open water or the drysuit speciality. Which course would people reccommend and why?

Andy

I'd say get your drysuit and start diving that first.. then take advanced.

andy_j_briggs:
I did my Open Water course about 6 months ago, but have not done any diving since. My local dive club in the UK uses drysuits exclusively for UK dives so it looks like I'll have to do at least a drysuit orientation, however I reckon I'd be better going a bit further by doing either my advanced open water or the drysuit speciality. Which course would people reccommend and why?

Andy

Personnally, I did my Advanced class in the drysuit and counted one of the dives for both. I then did one additional dive for the drysuit specialty a month later. It seemed to stretch my money a little farther.

Andy,
Get a drysuit - go diving with some of the club members and get comfy in the suit.
Ask your DO for advice - you don't need a course ie Card for drysuit unless you will be hiring one but you do need the training . Is it a PADI club or BSAC/SAA?

If you're just diving in the UK get a few practice dives here with a DO/Instructor but whatever you do get the drysuit - you'll need it and you can put some of the money you would have spent on courses towards the suit. BTW I'm not advocating that you don't spend money on courses just that at this stage you need to fork out the dosh for the piece of equipment you'll use on most UK dives if you want diving to be fun.

dbulmer:
Andy,
Get a drysuit - go diving with some of the club members and get comfy in the suit.
Ask your DO for advice - you don't need a course ie Card for drysuit unless you will be hiring one but you do need the training . Is it a PADI club or BSAC/SAA?

If you're just diving in the UK get a few practice dives here with a DO/Instructor but whatever you do get the drysuit - you'll need it and you can put some of the money you would have spent on courses towards the suit. BTW I'm not advocating that you don't spend money on courses just that at this stage you need to fork out the dosh for the piece of equipment you'll use on most UK dives if you want diving to be fun.

Possible, although I'm not sure I have the money to buy one at the moment. What's the difference between a £300-£350 suit and a £550 suit? Also, what would I need in the way of an undersuit? Would you reccommend I just do the drysuit orientation pool session (£40) or the speciality course (£80 plus kit hire)?

If you haven't dived in 6 months, I'd do a refresher first. It's called a scuba review which takes one evening in a pool with a Divemaster and runs over the basic skills and dive planning. Worth doing before you take on a drysuit course so that the skills basics are fresh in your noggin :wink:

Then I'd do some diving, then I'd do the advanced at the same time as the DS specialty. No harm in diving a bit first before doing any other courses.

Scubafreak

Andy,

Do the scuba review and then ask the instructor. I think you should opt for a second hand drysuit but splash out on a good undersuit/thermals. Typically a 200g undersuit with thermals would be ok but to be honest the question is like asking someone what car they like. Main thing is that whatever you choose fits well and does not restrict your range of movement and does not leak of course.

As for courses while a PADI course would help you, you may find that some divers in your club may be qualified to help you too. The instructor can help you decide what to look for in a suit/undersuit but please bear in mind that you need the training with someone suitably qualified to teach.

Any old diver is not a smart move as things can get nasty in a drysuit and you need to be confident you can handle the challenges it offers ie through instruction via PADI or through suitably qualified BSAC/SAA personel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom