Which CPR/FIrst Aid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leam

Contributor
Reaction score
Suggestions helpful, here's the issue.

As I develop as a PSD I need current CPR and First Aid. Many years ago I was a Red Cross Instructor-Trainer, but that was several years ago. The EFR stuff that PADI recommends would be useful in that I could possibly make a couple dollars on the side teaching, which I can't do as a Red Cross person.

Truthfully, are any of them better or worse? Have I missed the best option?

ciao!

leam

You can infact make money as red cross, AHA or EFR. EFR is by far the easy way to get an inst cert.

I have had CPR and First Aid training with several agencies. Two years ago it was the National Safety Council, recently the American Heart Association. As with other types of agencies, it is the INSTRUCTOR that counts.

Good Luck!

By being a Red Cross instructor, the crossover into any of the others is easy. That being said, I belive the money is in the shop. If a shop is selling classes, there is money to be made. ( Also consider DAN.) I became a Red Cross instructor because, having no work requirement, I wanted to keep CPR closer to the surface. If just meeting the requirement was what it was about than any of the agencys that give you a two year certification is the way to go. If you want to know CPR I think you might need to take the class every three months if you are not using it on OTJ. It's easier to teach it then to keep taking the class. Red Cross is a one year cert for CPR. Most others are two year.

Lot's of cities have paid Red Cross instructors but rely on volunteers. The volunteers pick the classes they want and the paid staff cover the rest. Most shops are pretty pumped when they hear I 'am a RED Cross instructor.

adios don O

leam:
Suggestions helpful, here's the issue.

As I develop as a PSD I need current CPR and First Aid. Many years ago I was a Red Cross Instructor-Trainer, but that was several years ago. The EFR stuff that PADI recommends would be useful in that I could possibly make a couple dollars on the side teaching, which I can't do as a Red Cross person.

Truthfully, are any of them better or worse? Have I missed the best option?

ciao!

leam

Pick what works for you, your agency and your community. Almost everything on our end is done by EMS and the $$ (the little bit there is) goes to the department teaching.

Use what works and is required for your PSD standards and stay away from PADI recomendations. Again, they are sport oriented and PSD isn't.

There have been some major changes in CPR in the past couple of months. We were just re-certed the standard way and were just updated by memo. Now the compressions are like a couple of in heat rabitts going at it. :D

Gary D.

Now that the thunderstorms have abated, let me type a little more...

I like your replies, and the Red Cross is normally my first choice. My question about the PADI/EFR isn't to blend PADI and PSD, honest! However, as I work my way up the ladder becoming a PADI divemaster/instructor seems a good way to learn instructional *technique* and find paying work while I build my PSD skills. A PADI divemaster can teach the EFR stuff and I was hoping there were some dive specific things in it that might not be in a Red Cross class.

However, if there is a noticable difference I'd go with quality over $$ any day.From the sounds of it a Red Cross and DAN combination might be the way to go; is that what I'm reading?

ciao!

leam

That's my route, but I'am not a PSD. Again, without shop help, you won't make any money. By being a Red Cross instructor you can usually crossover for the price of materials. ( EFR, React Right or,,, ) Makes you flexible.

adios don O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom