which dive operation on St Thomas???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I very Highly Recommend Blue Island Divers, I just got home today from a week of diving with them and one other shop, and hands down Blue Island Divers has my vote!!!

By the way, DJ and Annabell are the new owners there, and I was treated like family from the moment I walked in!! Awesome operation and awesome People!!!!

I also suggest Admiralty. Even though I haven't dived with other operators on the island, I would definitely consider going back and diving with them again. I hadn't dove in almost four years, yet I felt completely comfortable getting back in the water. The Instructor that led all three dives (his nickname is "Fishbutt", can't remember his real name) was Great!!! My last dive on the island was a night dive, my first night dive, and sensing that I was a little nervous he talked me through the dive the entire boat ride out to the dive sight. By the time we got there, I was completely at ease and had great air consumption on the dive. By the way, while your there, I highly suggest getting in one of these dives!!! It was absolutely amazing!!!

All in all, Admiralty staff took care of everything and did a really great job above and below the water!!!!

I also suggest Admiralty. Even though I haven't dived with other operators on the island, I would definitely consider going back and diving with them again. I hadn't dove in almost four years, yet I felt completely comfortable getting back in the water. The Instructor that led all three dives (his nickname is "Fishbutt", can't remember his real name) was Great!!! My last dive on the island was a night dive, my first night dive, and sensing that I was a little nervous he talked me through the dive the entire boat ride out to the dive sight. By the time we got there, I was completely at ease and had great air consumption on the dive. By the way, while your there, I highly suggest getting in one of these dives!!! It was absolutely amazing!!!

All in all, Admiralty staff took care of everything and did a really great job above and below the water!!!!

His Name is John, And yes John (FishButt) Rocks, Admiralty is also A great shop, and very good people.Instructor/Dive guide Brian Laforce works for both and I would recommend Brian all of the way, If you can't get Brian, John (Fishbutt) is the best there is!

Last edited:
I have only dove with on group on St Thomas and it was with Blue Island Divers. They were fantastic and I would highly recommend them. Not to say the other groups arent good but the dive operation at Blue Island was one of the best that I have dove with and DJ was one of the best DM's I have met. The wrecks are amazing there but the reefs were beautiful as well. Ill be back in December and would not miss hooking back up with them on a dive.

I'm hearing that st thomas diving is mostly wreaks not reefs. is this true?

Dove one day with STDC last summer as a stop off of a cruise ship. They picked us up at the port and brought us back without any extra charge! As I recall, they were first class all the way-from lugging my gear to the boat (which I didn't ask for or expect) and having the DM join us for the dive to point out some different critters.
And as they had extra time after the two tanks, we stopped in a cove and most of us snorkeled for a while coming across a bunch of turtles. I have never come across a boat that didn't rush back to the dock after the tanks ran dry.

Speaking of Turtles...the night dive, which I spoke of before, we were exploring the reef and came across a cave. After a quick pass with the light something caught my eye, and upon further inspection we had come across a sleeping turtle. It had to be easily be 100+ pounds and two feet across!!! Really an amazing sight!!!

So, I'd suggest both reef and wreck dives, but definitely don't miss out on the reefs!!!!

I guess it may depend on where you're staying but if you're near the east side of the island I would recommend Red Hook Diving Center. I dove with them last year and had a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom