Which drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I am starting to save my pennies for a new drysuit. The main dive shop I go to is big into DUI and can get me really good pricing compared to what I see online. I have a few que4stions. which DUI drysuit to get, they have quite a few different types? I am a recreational diver looking to eventually get into Tech diving (mainly for deco dives and wrecks) and I dive mostly cold waters. So keeping those facts in mind, what do you think I should go after. I am also likely going to get a custom suit as I am typically a medium/large for body length and arm/leg girth BUT I am XL in the stomach area lol. For example the Henderson aqualock in XLS (extra large short) fits me quite well.
If I were to look into another brand drysuit, which would you all suggest? Thanks!

Sounds like we have a similar body shape :) A drysuit that would fit my middle would be much too long in the arms and legs. I suggest you investigate how the manufacturers are willing to customize for your measurements. When I investigated, I was told some companies only make some certain adjustments. In the end, I went full custom Santi E.Motion suit and the suit has served me pretty well for 3 years. My LDS measured everything and ordered the suit for me. Full disclosure - I am on the staff at this LDS now but was not when I purchased my drysuit. Good luck :)

What other than your LDS's recommendation is spurring you towards DUI? Have you tried or taken a close look at other brands? DUI is an amazing manufacturer, but have some fun with drysuit shopping and explore others. Ask about demos, friends with drysuits, advice from here etc.

A drysuit represents a significant investment in your dive locker, take your time and get the perfect suit for you.

Having said that, there's a number of solid brands out there...Aqualung(formerly White's), USIA, Waterproof, URsuit, etc. I would say take a look at all of them.

Remember, have fun in your quest for a new suit! :)

Ah, decisions...

USIA seems to getting some good comments lately from folks I have been diving with.... Even in the DUI line, you have many choices.

I dive a DUI (CF200x - 100% custom) from 2002 that has treated me very well. If I had to do it again (or when I do), O-Three may be in the running...

yoyoguy, are you specifically looking at laminate suits or is crushed neoprene an option for you? Do you know what features you like and don't like so far? Only "self donning" front zip or back zip an option? I think, if I were in the market for a new suit, I'd look at all the different options and try a few on during demo days and such to see how those options really work for me. I bought my suit(s) used though so I took what I could get and happened to get very lucky.

I only have experience diving the DUI TLS350 but it's a comfortable, light-weight suit that works pretty well for me from mid 70s water down to high 30s low 40s (Fahrenheit) temps. (I have dived wet above 70s temps, though I'm looking to get/make a "tropical" drysuit for those temps now.)

I have looked at Whites but never dived one and the different "skin" options present some interesting possibilities with respect to suit ruggedness depending upon your dive interests.

Good luck on your search.

I agree with Dive Right In Scuba 2 that you should check out all brands since other manufacturers such as Bares & santi are coming along with nice tri-lam suits at a reasonable price compared to DUI. At the same time I love my DUI suits ( I have 3 DUI drysuits), I also live in New York State and do alot of lake, Quarry & ocean dives and I prefer the TLS350 for lightness and quick drying as compared to crush neoprene CF200 which is great for wreck diving but a lot heavier and drying time plus pricing is a lot more. If you are not in a hurry I would wait until either Beneath the Seas in NJ or Boston Rovers show in Boston, this way you can talk to manufactures reps & try on suits.

Checking more brands is definitely a wiser way to go. But do keep in mind, it is very difficult to get an apple to apple comparison unless you are a stock size. Stock White Fusion sizes will almost fit everyone. So you will probably feel good with a rental fusion. A rental DUI or Santi may not fit you properly, so it may not give you a true representation of how the suit is. Not sure if DUI demo event will happen close to you, it is a good way to try out multiple DUI suits.

yoyoguy, are you specifically looking at laminate suits or is crushed neoprene an option for you? Do you know what features you like and don't like so far? Only "self donning" front zip or back zip an option? I think, if I were in the market for a new suit, I'd look at all the different options and try a few on during demo days and such to see how those options really work for me. I bought my suit(s) used though so I took what I could get and happened to get very lucky.

I only have experience diving the DUI TLS350 but it's a comfortable, light-weight suit that works pretty well for me from mid 70s water down to high 30s low 40s (Fahrenheit) temps. (I have dived wet above 70s temps, though I'm looking to get/make a "tropical" drysuit for those temps now.)

I have looked at Whites but never dived one and the different "skin" options present some interesting possibilities with respect to suit ruggedness depending upon your dive interests.

Good luck on your search.

I currently dive a bare trilam HD which is a front entry. It is a bit large on me so that is the reason for buying a new drysuit. I have never dove a crushed neoprene and would not know the negatives or positives. I have only read that it seems like crushed neoprene may be warmer, while trilam does not "lose" buoyancy at depth or whatever. I honestly have no idea except I know whatever I end up getting will need to work for entry level tech and wreck diving so maybe something which is more durable (sounds like crushed neoprene may win out here?) Again I really don't know.

I agree with Dive Right In Scuba 2 that you should check out all brands since other manufacturers such as Bares & santi are coming along with nice tri-lam suits at a reasonable price compared to DUI. At the same time I love my DUI suits ( I have 3 DUI drysuits), I also live in New York State and do alot of lake, Quarry & ocean dives and I prefer the TLS350 for lightness and quick drying as compared to crush neoprene CF200 which is great for wreck diving but a lot heavier and drying time plus pricing is a lot more. If you are not in a hurry I would wait until either Beneath the Seas in NJ or Boston Rovers show in Boston, this way you can talk to manufactures reps & try on suits.

I was interested in DUI because I know the dive shop guy and he said he could get me one at cost (but even at cost I have to admit it is still dang expensive lol) He said check out the DUI site and see what I think I might be interested in and I could ask him questions and such, but I wanted to come on here to see what others thought. I don't want to insult him. He is a great guy.
I checked out the DUI site and they have so many models it's not funny. I am looking for something relatively durable which will last and get me through tech and wreck diving.

I've owned a bunch of different drysuits over the years. My thoughts, in no particular order of importance (except for the first one) ...

- The most critical consideration in the purchase of a drysuit is fit ... it must fit you properly. Made-to-measure suits are a crapshoot ... my experience is that companies get it right about 50% of the time. This has mostly to do with who's doing the measuring. IF you decide on a DUI, wait till a DOG Days event comes around and get someone from DUI to measure you for the suit ... they know what they're doing.

- Customer service ... some are better at it than others. I had really good experiences with DUI, although that's because I tend to be hard on suits, and my TLS350 was going back rather more often than I'd like. They took very good care of me, though, and I loved that suit. Bare's customer service left something to be desired ... they always took care of me, eventually ... but I could count on my suit being gone for 5-7 weeks before I'd get it back.

- Compressed (or crushed ... they're slightly different) neoprene doesn't "lose" buoyancy at depth. That's the whole point of compressing the neoprene before it goes into making the suit. The biggest disadvantage to this type of suit is it doesn't travel well ... it's heavy and takes too long to dry for the flight home. They are generally warmer and more durable than a trilam, however.

- Boot styles can be a factor ... some folks love rock boots, others despise them. Different manufacturers offer different options for built-in boots. Heavier boots are better for climbing over rocks on shore entries, but provide less flexibility and "feedback" for the more subtle kicks that tech divers tend to use. Lighter boots allow better fin control, but don't offer much of a buffer between your feet and the ground on shore entries. Pick your poison.

- If you go with a DUI suit, consider getting somebody else's rock boot ... DUI's boots are more expensive and less durable than some other alternatives. I personally like the Bare boots ... and Whites used to make one I really liked (Altera), but discontinued it for some reason.

- Lightweight suits like the DUI TLS350 and the Santi eMotion are generally very comfortable and easy to don/doff, but tend to be less durable than heavier suits ... they do travel very well due to their light weight and the fact that they dry rather quickly.

- Pee valve ... if you're going into tech diving, you'll want one. Same applies for pockets.

- Front zip suits are easier to don/doff ... back-zip suits will generally provide a better fit.

- Your choice of undergarment is at least as important as your choice of suit. It may behoove you to consider two or more undergarments, if you plan to use the suit in different water temperatures.

- Investigate seal choices. Neoprene seals are more durable, and more expensive ... and harder to replace. If you're going to use drygloves, then get latex or silicone seals, at least on the wrists. Zip seals (DUI) offer some conveniences, but consider that you'll have a neck ring to deal with, that replacement seals are very expensive, and that your drygloves are basically permanently attached to the suit. Some folks love 'em, others hate 'em. I ordered one suit with them, thinking it's a darn good idea for an instructor ... and hated them. Ended up sending the suit in and asking them to replace the zip seals with regular latex ones.

- Speaking of drygloves ... investigate different ring choices. About a third of the people I know who use them didn't like the ones they purchased the first time, and ended up buying twice. My favorites for function, ease of installation, price, and being leak-free are the Viking bayonet style rings ... but they're smallish diameter and not suitable for people with wide hands.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom