Which drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Local bottom temps range from mid 30s in Winter and early Spring to 60s in August/Sept.

No lead.

Just for the sake of completeness, that's with double 119s? And what are the buoyancy characteristics of those, when empty? I know that different 100s have pretty different buoyancy, but I don't know anything about 119s and if there are different ones out there.

Regardless, that seems pretty impressive in mid-30s F water. Assuming you're not just talking about 10 minute dips or something. I'm starting to think you must be pretty dense. LOL :wink:

Just for the sake of completeness, that's with double 119s? And what are the buoyancy characteristics of those, when empty? I know that different 100s have pretty different buoyancy, but I don't know anything about 119s and if there are different ones out there.

Regardless, that seems pretty impressive in mid-30s F water. Assuming you're not just talking about 10 minute dips or something. I'm starting to think you must be pretty dense. LOL :wink:

I'm in the same boat...2 X HP 100, DUI FLX Extreme, 400 gram undergarment....no lead.

Local bottom temps range from mid 30s in Winter and early Spring to 60s in August/Sept.

No lead.

I, on the other hand, wear a 20# weightbelt while diving a single steel cylinder (typically 119 or 130) and a weighted DSS backplate (11# total).

That's irrespective of which drysuit I'm wearing, and while in either my Weezle Extreme or Santi 400g thinsulate undergarment ...

You need what you need ... it's not a contest.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: RJP
Single HP120 has me wearing weight plates on my DSS BP, but but still no lead on my waist...

I, on the other hand, wear a 20# weightbelt while diving a single steel cylinder (typically 119 or 130) and a weighted DSS backplate (11# total).

That's irrespective of which drysuit I'm wearing, and while in either my Weezle Extreme or Santi 400g thinsulate undergarment ...

You need what you need ... it's not a contest.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't use weights...na na na na :) I win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

In all seriousness I'm quite interested in this weighting debate. Currently sitting in my bedroom (coolest room in the house) is a brand New Fourth element Kevlar suit. Since it arrived in June its been too warm to try it and attend my suit course (water temps in the mid 90's) and while my course was booked for a couple of weeks time that's been cancelled after I slipped and cracked a rib grrr.

I'd be interested in figuring a starting weight though.

Currently I dive a one piece Lavacore suit over a lava core top both are neutrally buoyant. So in my normal configuration of a Steel 120 (-4# when empty -10# full) I carry zero weight. I dive a Diverite transpack harness and voyager wing so no plate nor STA I have air in the wing at the SS

Recently I was diving an Ali S100 & S40 side slung - with both at minimum gas (30 bar) I was negative at the SS. I'm no athlete at 6'2 i'm 210lbs so carry some bioprene.

In the "winter" I previously dived a 7mm which with a hood meant I needed 6-8#

For my dry suit I have a thin undergarment (fourth element Dry base and a fleecy (fourth element Arctic)

The reason for the above is as a rough starting guide to prepare my rig. Currently it only has 2 trim pockets on the top cam band which can each hold 4# If I'm likely to need more that then my choice is to add 2 more pockets on the lower band OR either dig out my old SS or Ali plate and rig a new harness or perhaps get a Apex comfort harness which is similar to my Dive Rite except it uses a plate

I also accept that my current harness and potentially teh Apex harness have plastic buckles and adjustments so I'm not a serious diver :wink:

Back
Top Bottom