Which drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dive dry, I dive a DUI TLS 350. Stock size, turbo soles. It's very comfortable, dry and easy to get in and out by myself. The zip seals are nice because you don't have to send the suit in to have seals replaced, but they are pricy. Not that it matters if you're out on a dive boat and tear a seal. DUI service is top notch; I sent my suit in to have the neck zip seal, pockets and knee pads added. If you're not in a hurry, wait until there's a big scuba show in your area and check everything out. Susan Long (president of DUI) shows up for most shows, with the rest of her team, and can answer any question - or call them and talk through everything you're considering. Last year DUI bought OMS and are making the dry suits, like the DUI suits by no customization. I've test dived a few other brands, and they were fine, but not any better than a DUI.Undergarments are important too. Fourth Element makes great underwear, but it's not inexpensive either

.......Like I said before, I am contemplating adding a tri-lam suit to my collection, so I am genuinely curious about this. Since Ray hasn't provided any actual data to support what he said, is there anyone else that dives a tri-lam in water in the upper 30s or low 40s here who uses less than, say 20 # of weight (counting your BP)?

No weight with double faber 15l's in 50f water. I think the type of thermal protection is going to be the determining factor. If I used something like Weezle (or any high loft thermals) I would have to add weight.

Of course, crushed neoprene is a "vastly" more buoyant material than trilam... so you'll carry MORE weight because of that. Net-net, you may well be carrying MORE weight with your crushed neoprene suit than someone diving a trilam suit. I know the folks I dive with who have crushed neoprene suits carry a lot more lead that I do... which is none, actually.

Not necessarily. One of my drysuits is a Bare XCS2. The others are both Santi ... eSpace and eMotion. I dive them all with the same amount of weight. While the XCS2 may be more buoyant, it's not "vastly" more buoyant ... maybe a couple pounds. One thing to keep in mind is that the neo is crushed for a reason, and that's to reduce the buoyancy swing one gets diving full neo ... and by crushing the neo they've eliminated much of the inherent buoyancy of the material.

Another factor that pretty much equalizes the equation is that a neo suit ... even crushed neo ... offers some inherent thermal protection, and therefore requires less undergarment than a trilam, which keeps you dry but offers little to no thermal protection. Keep in mind that when diving cold water, it's primarily your undergarment that determines how much lead you're going to need ... not the suit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added August 21st, 2015 at 07:54 AM ----------

I know 3 people who have custom ordered suits from bare last summer. All of them leaked. 2 of them got fixed after the first trip back to bare. One of them still leaks. Mine (off the shelf) doesn't leak, but everything they glued on it falling off because they use the wrong glue. I'd suggest DUI FLX extreme or Santi, based on my research that is what I'm planning.

BARE had some issues ... particularly with the XCS2 ... with seam leaks. I had to send my suit back twice ... once when virtually every seam in the suit started leaking. Although they took good care of me, and fixed the suit each time ... it was gone for several weeks each time.

I believe they've got those issues worked out now ... what I was told by the shop owner who sold me the suit is that it was due to their moving their repair facility from British Columbia to Utah, and having to train new people.

Once they finally got it right, I loved that suit. Unfortunately, I've lost so much weight these past eight months it doesn't fit me any longer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Comparing the amount of weight carried by different people is a fool's errand. Body types are vastly different. I use more weight than anybody I know. I've even had instructors tell me it's ridiculous. But when they remove a few pounds from me, their jaws drop when they see I can't submerge. Must be my buoyant personality. And a big fluffy Weezle suit. But even diving wet or with a heavy vulcanized suit, I need a ton of weight. Don't compare to other people. Compare to yourself with different exposure suits.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

This! Varying amounts of bioprene and undergarment insulation make for apples to oranges comparisons.

Not necessarily. One of my drysuits is a Bare XCS2. The others are both Santi ... eSpace and eMotion. I dive them all with the same amount of weight. While the XCS2 may be more buoyant, it's not "vastly" more buoyant ...

That's why I put the word vastly (which I nicked from stuart's post) in sarcastic "finger quotes" in my post.

ScubaBoard desperately needs a sarcasm font - can I nominate comic sans?

That's why I put the word vastly (which I nicked from stuart's post) in sarcastic "finger quotes" in my post.

ScubaBoard desperately needs a sarcasm font - can I nominate comic sans?

Seconded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray pretty much slammed that one point from my earlier post without providing any actual data. I'm curious what he is using, in total, when diving in water in the 30s. I mean, he said "none" which seems likely to be totally false. .

You always seem to confuse observations and anecdotes with data.

When you said "carry less weight" I assumed you meant lead, given that the bouyancy of your rig and other gear won't change from one suit to another, so any delta would be in extra lead.

Locally I dive steel 119s and an AL backplate. With my DUI TLS-350 I wear zero lead. Hard to imagine I could dive with less than that by switching to a crushed neoprene suit. So your assertion that I would carry less weight would "seem likely to be totally false."

And while you can't typically generalize from one diver to another, everyone I know who dives a crushed neoprene suit (and similar steel tanks) also dives with a weightbelt or weight harness with lead on it.

Feel free to consider that "data" if you like.

:d

CF200x & heavy quilted Bare CT200 Polarware Extreme thermals w/ 2xHP100 on a SS plate = no additional weight..... but I am diving in the "good tasting" water... :D

You always seem to confuse observations and anecdotes with data.

How so? One data point is still data. A story about other divers using "more" weight that doesn't say how much weight you're using, the gear configuration, and the water temp is, at best, part of what would be needed to qualify as even one data point.

When you said "carry less weight" I assumed you meant ...

Well, at least we both agree you're the one making unfounded assumptions. :)

Locally I dive steel 119s and an AL backplate. With my DUI TLS-350 I wear zero lead. Hard to imagine I could dive with less than that by switching to a crushed neoprene suit. So your assertion that I would carry less weight would "seem likely to be totally false."

And while you can't typically generalize from one diver to another, everyone I know who dives a crushed neoprene suit (and similar steel tanks) also dives with a weightbelt or weight harness with lead on it.

Feel free to consider that "data" if you like.

:d

I said that your statement that you are diving with "none" for weight is most likely totally false. Thank you for vindicating me. Well, unless your AL backplate somehow weighs 0.

And you still haven't said what water temperature you're talking about. If you have no additional ballast beyond an AL back plate, and you're diving a single tank in warm water, I'm not surprised. Your post implies that you are diving double 119s (inferred from the 's'). If that's in water in the 30s, and you're using no additional ballast beyond an AL BP, well I am surprised. OTOH, if you are talking about diving in warm water, how do you feel like that really relates to the topic of this thread (being a dry suit for use in cold water)?

My earlier point that you chose to fixate on was related to the actual OP and his actual question. It was regarding the relative weighting requirements of a crushed neoprene suit versus a tri-lam IN COLD WATER. Are you asserting that the relative weighting requirements are the same, between the two types of suits, whether you are diving in warm water or cold water? This could just be my inexperience and ignorance talking, but it seems to me that with little or no undergarments (i.e. warm water), you might need little or no weight in a tri-lam and need several pounds more in a crushed neoprene suit. But, if you take the same diver, rigs, etc, and go get in 38 degree water, and add suitable undergarmetns under each suit, then it seems like you might need less ballast for the crushed neoprene suit as compared to what you'd need in the tri-lam. Which is just what I said earlier, that you chose to refute.

And thank you to Bob (@NWGratefulDiver) for his insights. I am still a little unclear, though. At first I interpret you to say that the XCS2 might need a couple pounds more than a tri-lam. But then you say that the buoyancy of the XCS2 seems to be offset by needing less undergarments (which is what my first post alluded to) - making them sound equal (neo vs tri-lam) and then, finally, you say that the ballast required is really just a function of the undergarments. That last part implies (to me) that in truly cold water, where you are going to definitely need more undergarment in a tri-lam than in a neo, you would actually need more ballast for the tri-lam (which is what my first post actually said).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom