Which DSLR for Cave Photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomhauburn

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose I'll get a hundred different answers to this one but I am planing on going to a DSLR for cave photography due to their ability to capture more light and run higher ASA speeds and of course lots of other reasons. So my two questions are which camera would you buy for the low end of the market that does better in low light and secondly in the almost to professional market? I believe I have reached the limits of what my camera will do in dark places. Note I plan on using Ikelite housing with a 8 Inch dome and Ikelike strobes either 125's or 200's. I would prefer an AL housing but I do not plan on doing much below 200 ft.

Flickr: tomhauburn's Photostream

Last edited:
For low light capabilities without going near the top of the range of a company's offerings, I'd say go with Canon. Their 400D has very nice high ISO capabilities and the newer 450D does even a smidge better.

Want better yet? Get the 40D - a rebate on them starts tomorrow and these bodies should come in right around the $1000 range which is an excellent value for money. This camera rocks.

You're going to want a nice wide lens and there are several possibilities, depending on the exact style you want. Anything from Tokina's 10-17 fisheye to Canon's superb 10-22 or for something not as wide, the Sigma 17-70 as a more all rounder lens but with ok wide end. Also Sigma's 15mm is a great lens. And there are others, too!

The choice for ali housings isn't just depth. They are smaller and for those with smaller hands at least the ergonomics are excellent. They are also way more expensive. Ikelite makes an excellent product with great support both in their port system and customer service. You can't go wrong with Ike!

Tom,

I just wrote an article about choosing underwater photography equipment for the ADM E-zine --it may be helpful to you.

You can download the E-zine here: ADM Online

If you have any questions about the article, you can ask them in the ADM Forum here on ScubaBoard: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-diver-magazine/

Jeff

Thanks Alinca
I have two buddies that just bought 40D's both neither have used them underwater yet. Most of my friend shoot with Cannon but I also got friends that shoot the Nikons. Both seem to take good shots. I also heard the newest Rebel ( 12 Meg ) is good in low light but have not talked to anyone who used it underwater yet.
Tom

Nikon and Canon both make very good cameras and it would be hard to go too wrong with either brand.

Nikon's new D300 is the only contender if you're looking for top notch high ISO performance, imho. But their other models do lots of things well - some people will never worry about high ISO so that becomes a non-issue for many; it depends on your needs. I personally wouldn't sacrifice being able to happily shoot at 1600 or 3200, but I have a great need for that range some days.

Canon has led the pack on this for a while, so even their older 20D is a better bet than the more consumer priced Nikons so far.

Tom, not to dissuade you from getting a DSLR, but have you ever seen Art Malone's UW cave photography? Check some of it out here. Keep scrolling down to find out what he's using to take those shots...

I'll give you a clue...it's not a DSLR....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom