Which enclosure??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the Nikon bodies you listed, the only one really worth housing would be the D700. That being said, your best options would probly be Nauticam or Aquatica. Sea and Sea has been out of them for over a year. Ikelite is a nice price point, but for that caliber camera and lens, I would be looking at an aluminum enclosure. If money is no object, then you have options like the Subal and Seacam...however they are significantly more than Nauticam or Aquatica, as are the ports and accessories.

Some Data for housings for your D700:

Ikelite: $1,600
S&S: $3,700
Subal: $3,900
Aquatech: $1,900

This does not include the ports and other gear.

These folks are near me, so I buy uw photo gear from them:

Backscatter : Underwater Camera, Underwater Video Housing, Underwater Photography, Waterproof Camera

Have a look at their website for more info and prices...they also do phone/mail order...

I have used Subal gear for both film Nikons and digital Nikons and love them. My best dive buddy has always used Ikelites for his Canon and loves them. De gustabus non desputandum est: the choice is yours...

joewr...UW photography maven to the rich and famous as well as the poor and infamous...and this space is still for rent...

Having owned and used both polycarbonate (Ikelite) and machined aluminum (Aquatica) housings, my personal preference is for the Aquatica housings. The Ikelite housing was a bit cheaper and it did the job, but I was never fully at ease with the port system. I have seen first hand a few people with that port system end up with flooding issues - never really at depth, but when there is little to no pressure on the port (ie. on the surface or in a rinse bucket). I find the bayonette mount on the Aquatica more solid of a fit. The moisture alarm I have in the Aquatica seems to be more practical in way of moisture detection. I have had leak issues in both types of housings (both minor) and neither one of them occurred initially upon a dunk test at the surface, but quite a bit significantly into the dive itself. The last one, having a clear housing would not have helped as I do a lot of scootering and while on the trigger, it is clipped off and not in my visual sight, but I did hear the beeping of the moisture alarm in the Aquatica and was able to exit the dive safely and take care of the problem. For the Ikelite leak, I was fortunate enough to be looking at it at the time and noticed some water trickling on the dome port (which I guess I would have seen as well on any other housing) and was able to deal with the situation.

One of my big complaints with my Ikelite housing was that some of the controls would slip while trying to operate the controls at depth. I am not exactly sure why that is, though i suspect the plastic housing, not being as rigid as aluminum, would perhaps deform (even ever so minutely) so as the contact on some of the controls would be a bit off and result in some slippage. I found this to be the case with the command wheels in particular. I had actually spoken with a technician at Ikelite about this and the suggestion was to put another piece of rubber or some tape on the control to make the connection more snug. While this may work, I would not have expected this sort of patch-work solution. This has never been the case with the Aquatica housing as the controls have always been precise with no slippage.

One other thing that I found a bit irritating with the Ikelite housing I had was that the camera was mounted on the housing back, which blocked access to both the memory card slot and the battery compartment. This meant that i would have to unmount the camera from the housing back each time if i wanted to change cards or batteries.

Don't get me wrong, Ikelite makes a quality product, but for me, these are the issues that have lead me to go a different route.

As far as the cost is concerned, I think the price differential was under $1000. Is this significant? Perhaps, but is it worth it? Only you can tell for you. For me, yes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom