Which Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are using full feet one, you need a neoprene sock. I got my feet full of blisters the first time I went diving on a trip.
Against blisters, cheap sport cotton socks are fine, if they are not too thin. It is what I use in a pool. But in dea, I use open heels fins to be able to wear booties, better protection when you walk, and warmer (I usually dive in cool water, 11-15C)

ScubaRook:
So I will be okay using strap fins for snorkeling? Do people generally take their own fins with them or just use the fins at the dive shop? Also, I thought of getting some of the lighter weight boots that come just to the ankle. Should these also work for cold water diving?

Strap fins are fine for snorkeling. Get some good boots IMO cold water ones, take them and rent the fins there(more room in duffle bag). It's just possible the LDS won't have your sizes. Also some places won't rent boots. Tip buy boots with a good sole, you can also use them for other H2O sports.

Take care,

Jim

Thanks all.

We went and got some open heal, split fin, fins with dive boots. We went with a lighter dive boot that only goes to the ankle but which has a rubber sole and a rubber patch on the back of the foot and on the top of the foot to prevent rubbing from the fin. This way we can comfortably use the boot for just walking the beach and wading through the water and not getting too hot from the normal thick dive boots.

We went with the split fins because the LDS told us they are easier on your legs, and my fiance really like that idea. Plus they are more compact and lighter. We will likely take them with us to FP since I was told that in FP all the dive shops and hotels only use full-foot fins.

Another question, my fiance has rather thick calves, and a regular dive boot for Michigan, which rises higher on the calf would not zip up all the way. What can we do about that? We do plan to dive in Michigan, at least for our open water dives. Can she get away with the light, low rise boot we have? Or is there some type of sock that can be worn under the boot to help insulate? Or a different type of boot that has a wide neck?

Thanks for all the help. This is a great board and I have already learned a lot lurking around here.

ScubaRook:
So I will be okay using strap fins for snorkeling? Do people generally take their own fins with them or just use the fins at the dive shop? Also, I thought of getting some of the lighter weight boots that come just to the ankle. Should these also work for cold water diving?

Any fins are good for snorkeling but check out both type of fins. Your body type will help you make the decision for scuba. I used full foot for 10 years and just switched to booties and strap fins (Mares avante quatro) yesterday after having them in my closet for three years. The bootie and strap fins work better for me because I'm heavy in the feet and legs I guess. They sink and I have to "wag" full foot fins to stay horizontal when hovering over a coral head trying to look closely at something. With the additional buoyancy of the booties I stay that way naturally.

Booties and strqap fins are not for everyone. I've seen people who swim practically upside down because of the buoyancy of booties. My daughter had to switch to full footers because of this.

i prefer the strap fins with a bootie, you can use wave walkers with strap fins, i have a pair of 'cudas' that are a type of wave walker and have used them for years with my subapro jetfins and they work just fine. they will come off with the fin when i take the fin off before exiting the water where a bottie will stay on your foot.
they make a shorter bootie that only comes up to the ankle, some of my dive buddies have them and really like them, they will stay on your foot better.
i also have had trouble with full foot fins not fitting right and leaving blisters, they are good for snorkeling as long as you don't have to enter the water through coral or rocks or urchins or rays or ....well you get the idea. it's always better to have your feet covered.
i would suggest taking you own mask, fins and snorkel to FP, your own equipment will fit you better than any rental stuff will.
which islands are you going to? my wife and i want to go for our 20th annv. in a couple of years, and are still trying to pick which ones to visit.
when you get back give us all a post and let us know all about it.
hope this helps, have a great trip

God Bless,
the shark

Well we just completed our open water lessons this last weekend. We still need to do the open water dives for certification. All I can say is that scuba is even better than we anticipated. It was a bit freaky when we first jumped in and went under the water with the regulator but we quickly became comfortable.

We both bought strap style, split fins with short boots. We are planning to take the fins/boots/masks/snorkels with us to FP since we just found out that the inter island airlines give a few pounds of extra weight to scuba divers. We are going to Moorea, Bora Bora and Tahaa. It should be a lot of fun, but now we are thinking of trying to scuba a bit more than we planned while there.

way to go, scuba rook... it only gets better :wink:

Two words..... Liquid Blue! These fins are made by Atomic and are fantastic. They are a bit pricey but I have a pair and have never been happier. They are a "Split Fin" so they take a little getting used to but they are a lot easier on the leg muscles to use than most paddle fins. You dont have to kick as hard to go as fast. I use a slight flutter kick and keep up with my dive buddys easily (they use "paddle" or "standard" fins). My regular buddy is saving his pennies for a pair ever since he used mine. Look them up on the net and maybe check with your local dive shop. They may have a pair you can rent. Everybody has preferences so try to experience a few different type's of fins before you commit. Have fun on your trip and dive safe! ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom