Which GoPro or other device to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's some footage I shot with my Contour Roam the other day. It was just some short dive in the local murky waters with nothing much to see, so it's not a great video, but shows the quality. The only post-processing I've done was white balance to get the green tint out a bit. It's both on youtube and on vimeo to mitigate compression issues. Compare. The original footage looks better than either of them.

[video=vimeo;42299944]https://vimeo.com/42299944[/video]

I had the camera attached to my mask with a makeshift DIY ziptie mount. Worked pretty well except for a slight amount of wobble left. I'm still experimenting...

1.) How well do these cameras work when strapped to your head when you are horizontal in the water? Does it work out well with recording whatever you are looking at?

Not really! My dive buddy has a GoPro and at first we had it mounted to a helmet. PITA. We were diving in the caves and you really have to force your head way, way up to capture any cave features other than the bottom. Buddy had neck pain during the entire dive. Placed it on a camera tray and the difference is really night and day. Helmet mounted is great in OW where there is little to see above you but in the caves not so great ....just my two cents.

Not really! My dive buddy has a GoPro and at first we had it mounted to a helmet. PITA. We were diving in the caves and you really have to force your head way, way up to capture any cave features other than the bottom. Buddy had neck pain during the entire dive. Placed it on a camera tray and the difference is really night and day. Helmet mounted is great in OW where there is little to see above you but in the caves not so great ....just my two cents.

Tony, if you get an extension arm, you can angle the camera better without straining your neck.

However, I agree 100%, a camera tray is the way to go.

I want to get a GoPro or some other device that will shoot in HD, is easy to operate and is rated to about 100 ft. I might also use it when mountain biking and snow boarding.

1.) It seems like Amazon has a bunch of different models. Is the surf edition the best for scuba and snorkeling?
2.) Is there some other similarly priced device that I should also look at?

Thanks in advance.

Being you plan on using a GoPo, check out my post for a GoPro stabilizer rig, and do not forget to order your backscatter!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/419683-proto-type-video-photo-rig.html

Last edited:
My buddy and I are making a short handle pole for our GoPros. I bought the surf edition which came with 2 sets of adhesive mounts suitable for underwater use. He had some old dive lights that we took the handles from. I have a flat piece of plastic from my compass reel that will no longer reel in the compass. The old compass mount is screwed to the dive light handle. Then the surfboard mount is fastened to the compass mount. The camera will attach to that. Add a lanyard for safety. We are also planning to make one that can have a light mounted to it for photographing under ledges. The cost for us is $0 compared to $30 and more.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your responses! I think I've decided to go with the GoPro. I would like to be able to use a red filter, though I do not see myself changing the filter underwater. I also typically do not go further than 60ft.
1. Where do I get this new GoPro housing? If I understand correctly, this one does not allow you to use a red filter though?
2. Is this Backscatter housing (Backscatter Custom GoPro Underwater Housing with Glass Lens and Removable Filter Mount) the housing that will enable me to put in the red filter? If so, where do I get the filter?

Thanks!

Dive Housing for GoPro Cameras

It doesn't allow you to use a red filter yet... but a removable one is already in the works scheduled to be released by the end of June if I remember correctly.

Yes that is the backscatter housing and it comes with the red filter. If you look down below the filter is already added into the price. If you want the backscatter without the red filter is appears to only be $80.

If you want my 2 cents. I'd go with the GoPro housing. For the price it can't be beat and I'm actually thinking about buying one even though I already have a housing with the SRP blurfix attached. The red filter will be out for it soon and it's going to be removable underwater as well putting it equal to the backscatter housing for a fraction of the price.

Dive Housing for GoPro CamerasIf you want my 2 cents. I'd go with the GoPro housing. For the price it can't be beat and I'm actually thinking about buying one even though I already have a housing with the SRP blurfix attached. The red filter will be out for it soon and it's going to be removable underwater as well putting it equal to the backscatter housing for a fraction of the price.
or .. check out the new contenders like the German Infinity if you dont mind me trolling. There seem to get some alternatives available to GoPro. Anyone got any experience with the CamoneTec thingy with any filters / underwater?Maurice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom