Which is Better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Dolphinus
I decided to get the N90 with housing. I also talked to some friends and they helped me make up my mind.

To cloud things up even more, why a N-90 and not an F-100? Do you already own the N-90? If so, I say go for it. If not take a look at the F-100. The N-90 is a very nice camera. I have two friends that use them in Aquatica housings and love them. Nikon has decided to discontinue production of the N-90. There will still be plenty of new cameras and support for some time as it is such a popular camera. Do you know what type of housing you want? I use an F-100 in an Aquatica housing, it's a great set up.

Rooster, I already have an N90 but I will look also on the F 100, Now you are making things hard for me, I can not decide now LOL. Thanks for the input anyways.:)

Hi,

I know I am late on this.

I started with S&S MMEXII, upgraded to a F90X housing and just bought a Nikonos V with 15mm lens. I think Rooster and Dee have given you pretty good advise. I will just answer your last question.

The only advantage that I think F100 has over F90X is the huge viewfinder. In UW photography, try to keep things simple. That's why most advance features are not so applicable.

Remember that till today, top UW photogpraher like David Doubilet (one of the many) still uses F90X. F100 is a bit too expensive to be taken into the water!!!

Regards
liang

PS: Go get a housing, you can do a lot more!!!

Originally posted by Liang
Hi,

I know I am late on this.

I started with S&S MMEXII, upgraded to a F90X housing and just bought a Nikonos V with 15mm lens. I think Rooster and Dee have given you pretty good advise. I will just answer your last question.

The only advantage that I think F100 has over F90X is the huge viewfinder. In UW photography, try to keep things simple. That's why most advance features are not so applicable.

Remember that till today, top UW photogpraher like David Doubilet (one of the many) still uses F90X. F100 is a bit too expensive to be taken into the water!!!

Regards
liang

PS: Go get a housing, you can do a lot more!!!

Don't want to appear argumentative, just sharing my experiences.
There is more than one thing about the F-100 that makes it a better UW camera than the N-90s/F90x. The viewfinder is brighter and larger. It focuses faster, most noticeable with the 105. It is allot quieter, in film advance, shutter, and most importantly the auto focus. It auto focuses in lower light, lower contrast conditions, and searches less. The aperture is adjusted on the camera body by a command dial, and not on the lens, so it?s easier to adjust, and you don't need an aperture gear. You can select the focus area. There are other reasons, but these are the ones I use the most. I do agree that many of the more advanced features don't come into play UW, but some of them do. I have my camera set up (with the advanced features) to use the front command dial for aperture control, and the rear command dial is used for exposure compensation. This works great for me. Yes there are plenty of great photographers still using n90s, some of them are still using RSs, F-4, and 8008s. I think maybe because they are comfortable with their set up, they still work great, and not everyone has to have the latest and the greatest if the old stuff still does what they need. As far as price goes, a F-100 can be had for about the same price that a N-90 went for several years ago. Yes you can get an N-90 a lot cheaper now, that's because it is outdated. Not that a N-90 is not a good camera, it's just getting a little long in tooth, and there are better cameras out there. If I already owned the N-90 I would go ahead and house it. If I were looking at getting a new camera, I'd go with the F-100. Of course this, as always, is just "my" opinion. Others may, and probably will, vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom