Which is the best Caribbean island to dive..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
..not counting Cozumel?

Hubby :monkeydan and I have been to Coz a few times, and we love it. We'll go back for sure. I was only wondering if there is someplace that compares economically and quality of diving. Maybe for the money we could be getting more variety?

Any opinions? :palmtree:

For all around fun diving, Bonaire is my wife's and my favorite.

Although its harder to get to and you'll likely have to pay higher airfare than to Cozumel, there are plenty of deals on apartments/trucks/tanks that make the rest of the cost of the trip quite reasonable.

While you're probably not going to get the pelagic encounters of some other places, the diversity of species is unmatched in the Caribbean. Bari Reef in front of the Sanddollar Condos. has had more species spotted than any other site in the Caribbean.

Shore diving makes this a diving vacation on your schedule, not the boat operators. Forget the cattle boats and the 8AM two tanks, roll out at your leisure and dive the sites that you want to. Some operators, such as Buddys, provide access to tanks 24/7, so you can dive when you feel like it, even in the middle of the night. With year round visibility often exceeding 100' and healthy pristine coral, mild currents and always warm water, its as close to a sure thing as you can get for diving.

Unlike Cozumel, and many other Caribbean locations, you can drink the tap water and eat uncooked fruit and vegetables without fear.

I have been scoping out Bonaire, and it does look good. A little more expensive, but maybe it's worth it. I also wonder about Jamaica.

If you dont have to be right on the water... check out
www.goldenreefinn.com it is a great deal and nice place to stay. It isnt on the water, in fact, its tucked into a quiet residential area which is great. Send Liz an email ...if not call....I think she is in the middle of moving to Bonaire....but anyway..it is a great place to stay.
rich

squarepants:
..not counting Cozumel?

Hubby :monkeydan and I have been to Coz a few times, and we love it. We'll go back for sure. I was only wondering if there is someplace that compares economically and quality of diving. Maybe for the money we could be getting more variety?

Any opinions? :palmtree:

Which Caribbean Island is the BEST to dive? :33:

Well, if you have not been to the Island before, look at it like a donut, they are all good it's just that some are better than others! :jump:

Thank you for the link, RICHinNC. The Golden Reef Inn looks really cute, and a pretty decent deal, too!

squarepants:
..not counting Cozumel?

I was only wondering if there is someplace that compares economically and quality of diving. Maybe for the money we could be getting more variety?

...with those criteria! The bang for the buck is the best I've seen. However, if you ARE willing to spend a bit more here are my humble opinions:

Best Easy diving with nice variety: Bonaire
Best Walls & isolated topside: Little Cayman
Best Critters & healthy reefs: St. Vincent
Best Topside/diving combo: Dominica

You'll also find the Honduran Bay Islands have some fantastic deals at some of their resorts. The diving can be very good there, if a bit uneven. The downside for me there is the dreaded NoSeeUms; they ate me alive, DEET and Cactus Juice not withstanding!

Regards

I would highly recomend the Grand Cayman. Short boat rides, wall diving, sting ray city, Turtle farm...what's not to love. However, do your homework on where to stay...the hurricane hit it pretty hard last year. Also, the snorkling off 7 mile alone was just fantastic. I'll be going back someday.

What you need to do is go dive them all! Dive some of the Bahama islands, Cayman Islands, ABC islands, Less Antilles islands, then decide for yourself which one you like the best and go back there. Have FUN!

Now.... I LIKE the way that Carlislere thinks :lol:

I would do that!!!

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom