Which island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWizard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been mostly a Caribbean diver for the past 20 years. But now with my (adult) son living in California, I'm thinking a Hawaiian Dive Trip makes sense.
But which island would you more experienced HI divers recommend?

We'll be flying Hawaiian Airlines from SFO for probably an 8-10 day trip. I'd like to stay on just one island the whole time, possibly two different ground locations, depending.
We'll have a vehicle the entire time and I'd like a mix of shore-diving and boat diving and a good dive op that's flexible with our plan.
Note: we're experienced shore-divers from multiple Bonaire/Curacao trips.

OK, I'll sit back now and read through other threads while waiting for your recommendations.
Thanks!

I am not a Hawaiian diver and have only dove Kauai. Found that to be quite good and loved diving with all of the Hawaiian Green sea turtles. From what I hear, and where I plan to go the next time I hit Hawaii, a trip over to Ni'ihau from Kauaii will provide as good a diving as anywhere in Hawaii.

I would narrow it down to Maui or the Big Island... Been to both and heading to Kauai in 2.5 months.

Wrecks and lava tubes, go to Oahu (also has gobs of turtles and eagle rays, no mantas though).

Oahu-like reefs and a shot at something unique, go to Kauai and book a Niihau trip or several.

Best reefs and marine life, Big Island followed by Maui.

If you go to Maui, you can dive FOUR islands....Maui, Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai....if you get on a boat. Excellent shore diving both in West and South Maui.

Being new to Hawaii you are sure to have a great time regardless of which island you choose. The Big Island is famous for it's manta rays and deep drop offs providing very consistent clear waters for example. Maui has the well known Molokini crater, Cathedrals I & II, St. Anthony wreck, great shore diving, the ability to dive Molokai with Hammerheads in the summer(conditions permitting), etc... Oahu is well known for it's fantastic wreck diving. Coming to Kauai you have the possibility of diving Niihau with sharks and the endangered monk seal. These are just some examples...

Scottytheduck is a great resource for Oahu here on the board. He runs a great operation over there that I have heard nothing but good things about.

ShakaDoug is very helpful regarding Maui for sure and gets rave reviews as well.

You'll have world class turtle diving with the Hawaiian green sea turtles whichever island you choose. Lava tubes can be found on each island as well and are a blast to dive. Hawaii also boasts the highest endemic ratio of fish anywhere in the world which is very exciting. White-tip reef sharks, eagle rays, moray eels, octopus, scorpionfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimp species and more will be encountered on any of the islands with regularity.

As you narrow it down feel free to send me a personal message if you like. I'd be happy to help you with suggestions on diving any of the islands or just getting you further information. Consider sending the previously mentioned guys a message as well. I hope you find them as helpful as I've seen in the past. They're both great.

Good luck with you're exciting decision.

A

...Good luck with you're exciting decision.

A
Thanks.
I've been to Maui, Big Island, and Oahu some decades ago before I was certified; snorkeling there helped push me to get certified.
For this trip, next Feb/Mar, I've selected Maui for 10-12 days; plane tix to be bought before too long.
Assuming this works out grandly, we shall return to a different island the following year till we've gotten them all.
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom