which kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zuma022

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a newbie putting together my first underwater kit. I have a Canon s90 and I'm just about to order the Canon housing. I like the FIX housing, but it's out of my price range.
Thanks to the help of people on this forum I've decided to get a S-2000 strobe.
I've seen a couple of options and was wondering if I could get the input of people who know more or maybe have used these combination.

First I saw this kit from backscatter:
Backscatter Inon S-2000 Strobe & Flex Arm Package

Reef Photo gave me this quote:
Inon S-2000 S-TTL Strobe
Inon Optical D Cable (43 cm/L Type)
Fiber Optic Mounting Block
Inon Double Hole Fiber Optic Plug (Rubber Bush Plug)
ULCS TR-D Digital Tray
ULCS TR-DHB Padded Handle w/ Ball for Digital Tray
ULCS DB-05 5" Double Ball Arm
ULCS AD-SSL 3" Adapter for Sea & Sea Strobes
ULCS AC-CSF Clamp, New Style w/ 15° Lateral Movement
Inon Z joint

The second option is more expensive but less than $150. Any opinions or recommendations?

The ULCS arm system is a flexible and professional system able to adapt to any other camera or strobe,
changing only the adapters and/or buying more arm elements.
I still have a flex arm on my G11 rig, but mainly because i had it lying around unused from my Fuji E900 rig.
So i adapted it and work with it as long i have the money to buy the ULCS arm.
If i had to buy a new arm, i would choose a ULCS or similar arm setup.

Chris

How do you like using the flexarm compared to the fancier set up? Just handling, etc?

1. The flexarmes have to be rather stiff to hold the strobe,
so moving the arm will need some force.
2. Bent flexarmes make curve due the single element can't bend not more than 80° or less.
3. Flexarms are cheap, easy to shorten or make them longer

4. Ball-joint arms (ULCS/Ikelite/Inon) are ways more flexible regarding the strobe positioning because you can move them freely almost 300° or more in any direction.
5. This is particolarly true when you have 2 arms per side, what you -sooner or later- will do and buy another clamp and arm.

Another flexibility is that you can -and will- keep your arms for your next camera setup, just buy (if necessary) the new adapters and you are done.

Chris

Thanks for your help, Chris. What do you think as far as weight goes, especially considering the travelling side of things. ULCS stands for ultralight something or other, correct? Is there a big difference?
Is one more comfortable to hold underwater. The ULCS kit has sort of a handle, how important is that?

The difference in weight is not a lot as flexarms are quite lightweight as well.
The difference may be more considering the whole thing together, tray+handle+arm but i actually have no idea what it will weight, but i guess that the difference will be around 1 pound max.
Yes, ULCS stand for ultralight control systems, but as today other manufacturer produce similar arm systems they are not anymore sooo ultralight.
One "vantage" the flexarm offers is that it's so thick that you can use it as handle, while with a aluminium arm system you will need the handle to comfortably hold your rig. This is one point making flexarms considerable less expensive than aluminium arms because they don't need a handle.
A "ergonomic" handle is quite important to hold the whole rig while swimming and while taking photos
and consider that you may do long dives so ergonomics may be a issue.
With some manuality and tools you can make a tray and handle for either system by your self.

Zuma022,
as i may be unclear and my english is limited i made 2 photos to show what i am talking of.
Ignore that the 2 arms have different lenghts, i just want to show how you can move around a ball arm while
a flexarm is limited in his movements.
If it is necessary to have the stobe under the camera is arguable, but you can... :D
Yellyfishes and other translucent creatures are a good example where illumination from below can create a nice effect.

Anyway, the difference is that a 6'' ball arm extends further than a 6'' flexarm when you need the arms on the side what is a common position for strobes. To get the same extension you need a much longer arm as they will do some kind of a 180° arch.

Chris

D90%20mit%20Blitzarm-1.jpg

G11%20mit%20Blitzarm-1.jpg

Chris: Thanks so much for the photos, it helps a lot. And your English is very good btw. I see what you mean though. Is it easy to manipulate the arms underwater?

Wisnu: Wow, that looks pretty neat. I'm kinda wary of the old saying 'you get what you pay for', but you have no problems? It's sturdy, etc?

Yes,i find it's easier to manipulate the ball arms than a flex arm.
Consider that you should add to the 99$ + 22$ shipping shown on their website at least the import duties in Canada and calculating them before you order may exclude bad surprises when they arrive.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom