Which Liveaboard for Cayman Islands or Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Checkout the Juliet. It is a 104' three masted schooner sailboat that is out of Provo this time of year. In the summer it will dock in Miami and run the Bahamas. They are reasonably priced, and have a very low passenger to crew ratio. Last time I was on the Juliet, there were 5 crew (that is a full crew) and only 8 passengers (12max). Web site is listed below.

sailjuliet.com

Tell me more abou the Juliet please.

I've just started to seriously consider taking a trip with them in May 08.

Any insight on the itinerary, the operations? Do they dive from the boat or from a skiff?

What about the dive sites? Are the cabins really small? Just general information would be nice to have.

I called and have not been able to get anyone on the phone. They may be on the vessel sailing now.

How many dives did you get per day? What's the shower situation? I understood it's two full heads w/ showers. How did that work for you?

All information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

I think the CEX1 is the boat that they have listed for wild dolphin diving starting in Aug-Oct. One itinerary is from Bimini which sounds like maybe a better itinerary. The other one leaves out of Freeport. Has anyone done something like this with them? Price is pretty good for a week.

The juliet looks cool though not sure how I feel about the communal shower thing.

Not sure if Eammon was on another Explorer Ventures boat, but I would say it's likely - they tend to rotate their captains among their five boats.

cheers!

Tell me more abou the Juliet please.

I've just started to seriously consider taking a trip with them in May 08.

Any insight on the itinerary, the operations? Do they dive from the boat or from a skiff?

What about the dive sites? Are the cabins really small? Just general information would be nice to have.

I called and have not been able to get anyone on the phone. They may be on the vessel sailing now.

How many dives did you get per day? What's the shower situation? I understood it's two full heads w/ showers. How did that work for you?

All information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

I made two cruises on the Juliet, one in the Bahamas and one in Turks. Let me try to address your questions. I don't know when you plan to take your trip. Right now the Juliet is in the Turks. Much of the information about the ship including pictures of the cabins can be seen at their website at Juliet Sailing and Scuba Diving.

At last check there were two captains on the Juliet, John and Tim. John is the owner. Both are great guys and do a fine job of getting you to some good diving, keeping everyone safe and managing the crew who are all very helpful.

There are 5 crew on each cruise: the captain, a divemaster, an engineer, a cook and a naturalist. Every day there are up to 4 dives including a night dive, as well as spearfishing for hogfish and lobster during surface intervals and afternoons. In the Turks, the best time of year to go is in the next 5 weeks if you want to see whales. That is hit and miss.

There are very few drift dives. Most dives are on walls or reefs. Depending on when you fly, you can expect to do about 17 to 19 dives max during the week, plus free diving. You can get all Nitrox fills for the week for $100 extra, or you can get Nitrox for single dives for $10 each. You can get to some deep walls, but it is not necessary to dive very deep (over 80 feet) on most dives to see lots of great sealife.

Cabins are small on every liveaboard, but depending on the number of people traveling with you, say your wife for instance, the cabins can be very comfortable. If you are going to make a reservation on the boat, request cabin 4. On my last trip, I had that cabin to myself. In my opinion it is the nicest cabin on the boat. My first trip on the boat, I was all the way at the back of the boat, and the accommodations were kind of cramped. But I was there for the diving, and there was certainly no discomfort and it was convenient to the shower and head. I never had a problem getting into the head or the shower when I wanted to. The shower has soap and shampoo installed for your use. There was plenty of hot water in the showers AND on deck. When you came up from your dive, you could run hot water straight inside of your wetsuit during the surface interval right up on deck.

Yes, there is a head in the front and one in the back, as well as washer and dryer. They make all of their water, so you can't use the washer at will, but there are times when you can when the captain allows it.

The ship holds 12 passengers max to 5 crew. On my last trip there were only 8 passenger to 5 crew. Everyone is friendly. Morale is great on the ship and don't expect to lose weight because they feed you 3 full meals plus in between meal snacks. Everything is included in the cruise price. You are expected to tip 15 to 20% at the end of the cruise. I was happy to do so on both of my trips.

If you go to Bahamas, the boat (its up to the passengers) can skip a night dive and go to Bimini one night. At least one of the crew was a resident, so we knew where to go and what to do when we went ashore. There was live music and we had a great time.

I never had any problems getting to sleep after all the food and a day of diving. I hope to schedule a trip on the Juliet before this year is out. I will go back to the Bahamas again this time. The LDS in Mandeville will schedule a trip during the summer, and I will try to go when they do.

Hope this helps.

Tim and Danielle were moving back to California in December. Brandon is suppose to be the Captain in the Turks. The Juliet is hard to book because groups usually have it booked up through the year. We have it booked in July and October. You can go to our website at easydiversmemphis.com and check out the weeks we have it booked. The showers are not communal and with only 12 passengers max, it's easy to find time to shower and it's unlimited water. There is a hot water shower on deck as well.

Tim and Danielle were moving back to California in December. Brandon is suppose to be the Captain in the Turks. The Juliet is hard to book because groups usually have it booked up through the year. We have it booked in July and October. You can go to our website at easydiversmemphis.com and check out the weeks we have it booked. The showers are not communal and with only 12 passengers max, it's easy to find time to shower and it's unlimited water. There is a hot water shower on deck as well.

Below is an e-mail I got from John earlier last year. Maybe some of these spots are still open. Check with John at the email or phone number below. They will also be repositioning the boat back to Miami at the end of March and then will dive in the Bahamas until December.

Dear Friends of Juliet,
I want to let you all know about some availability that we have this winter. Some of you have already received this e-mail. I apologize for the redundancy, but many of the addresses on our list did not receive this yet. The following trips have space available:
November 10-16 Bahamas (5 spaces) $1390
November 24-30 Bahamas (3 spaces) $1390
December 15-24 Repositioning from Miami to Providenciales (4 spaces) $1990
February 23-29 Turks & Caicos (10 spots) $1490
March 15-21 Turks & Caicos (4 spots) $1490
Please contact us if you have any interest in taking a Juliet vacation during one of those weeks. Thank you for your support and patronage!
Sincerely,
Captain John Beltramo
Juliet Sailing and Diving
(650) 906-4249
john@sailjuliet.com

Hope this helps.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share. I'm going to head out with a gentlemen from the board who has some room available w/his group.

Looking forward to having a great time.

It sounds like you've had some great times aboare the Juliet.

Thanks for the information it really helps.

I do have one other question, can you get someone from the crew to dive with you if you need a buddy?

Back
Top Bottom