which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Spartan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi, like ive said before, im brand new to diving. the bc i currently use is a poseidon multilift. i got a nice deal on it from ebay. it is very comfortable but in the water i simply do not like it.

im planning on buying another system (in a while since im planning on using the money i have saved on my first car :D)

any way the two systems i am currently looking at are

-Sea quest Blackdiamond
-Zeagle Tech or Ranger
-Dive rite Transpac with a rec exp wing

please no bp/w suggestions!

thank you

Transpac. It's a BPW without the BP. But seriously, why do you think that you need a Rec Wing unless you're planning on diving double tanks? Do your dive weight/equipment calculation first. Chances are the Venture Wing or even the Travel Wing will do you just fine.

If you want to look tech go with the Ranger or the Black Diamond, if you want to go tech go with the backplate from zeagle or dive rite.

What don't you like about the Poseidon?

I dive a Ranger LTD so can probably answer questions about it. Might also look at a ScubaPro Knighthawk, I went to my LDS to buy one and came home with the Ranger. It just seemed to fit better.

dont get me wrong, i like poseidon, i use a cyklone rig

what i do not like about the bc is that it is a jacket style bc. i hate the squeze!

i want the doubles feature for later but not for deep diving, only to stay longer in the shallows

like fnfalman said the transpac is a bp/w setup without the bp. personally i like the rec exp wing even though it has a lot of lift, it is like a security of knowing you can have a lot of lift when in high seas you are above the waves

Why no bp/wing suggestions?

Did somebody (most likely an instructor or divemaster) tell you it is only for tech-divers? And that it is heavy and cumbersome?

I dare you to try a sensible bp/wing-setup before making your mind up!

If a BP/W is completely out, get the Transpac. But don't get the Rec Wing. I know its specs say it works for both singles and doubles, but the fact of the matter is (and I own one) that like most everything designed to do two things, it's not particularly good at either.

That said, PM me if you want a really good deal on one that's been used for about 50 or so dives.

dont get me wrong, i like poseidon, i use a cyklone rig

what i do not like about the bc is that it is a jacket style bc. i hate the squeze!

i want the doubles feature for later but not for deep diving, only to stay longer in the shallows

You seem to really not understand the point of diving a BPW. Especially if you at some point plan to dive with double tanks. It has NOTHING to do with diving deep. It has everything to do with choosing the best tool for the job. While the back inflate systems you note are very good they are not designed to be used with doubles except the transpac and then you'll have to add a plate unless you go sidemount. In addtion a BPW does not have all the inherent buoyancy of all that padding which underwater is really not needed. A BPW provides stability for double cylinders, allows you to fit the rig to you( not try to fit you to it), is far more customizeable, and in many cases the modular design is easier to repair, cheaper to fix, and most of all puts the weight where it needs to be. I see you are in PA. Probably dive cold or colder waters. Heavy wet suit or dry suit.

A BPW allows you to take weight off the belt and puts it where it needs to be. Over the largest airspace in your body- the lungs. Trimming out is usually made easier with that 6 lb plate over them. You'll do what you want but many times gear choices are influenced by instructors or shops that push what they sell. And that's fine. But in the end it really comes down to your needs, wants,and means. THat is what is important. And foresight told me that going doubles meant BPW intead of jury-rigging ( even if it's from the factory) something to work to do what it really was not designed for.

Back
Top Bottom