Which reg? Atomic.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After all the "what reg should I buy?" posts, I thought I'd just skip all that and post my recent purchase decisions. My philosophy was to only have to buy this stuff once, so I went for reasonable quality.

I decided on an Atomic Z2 for my first regulator (over Scubapro MK25). I got it environmentally sealed, and with a DIN connector. Also got an SS1 safe second and had it attached to a Knighthawk BC.

Why the Atomic Z2? I like the idea behind the Atomic line: they make basically one type of regulator, the company was founded by former Scubapro pros, and every review I've seen says good things. I wanted to get my BC and regulator from a LDS and was willing to pay a bit more for it. (They charged my MSRP minus 10%; pretty standard, I guess.) I did not see a need for any of the more expensive Atomic regs.

Why DIN? My buddy has DIN tanks. I also got a DIN/yoke adapter for boat dives and traveling. (You can use an adapter to go from DIN to yoke, but not the other way around.)

Why the SS1? I decided against an octopus. I know that's a big debate here, but that will always be. I picked the SS1 over the AIR2 just based on what I read on this board.

Why the Knighthawk BC? I have a buddy with a Knighthawk. He swears by it. The Zeagle looked way too big for traveling.

I finally got to dive all the new toys this weekend. My review:

Atomic Z2: works great. Love it. I don't see a need for an adjustment knob -- I wouldn't think any less of a regulator that didn't have one. It's interesting that it breathes a bit noisy on the surface when exhaling. Underwater it was very smooth.

Atomic SS1: worked fine. Can't say I love it, but I like it -- it certainly does not breathe as easily as the Z2, and the mouthpiece is a bit small. I will have to practice using it more. I did use it to manully inflate my BC for an entire dive, and found it easy to handle in that regard. Like the Z2, it is a bit noisy out of the water when exhaling.

Knighthawk BC: Love it. Back inflation is the way to go -- what a difference from a jacket BC! Trim was easier, diving felt more natural. The tendency to get pushed face forward on the surface takes only a short while to get used to. I really like being able to vent from the various valves instead of having to hold the inflator hose above my head!

Anyway, that's it. This board was a great resource for my research, so thanks to everyone here with an opinion to share!

My credit card got bent from running up charges so fast!

yeah, the atomics 'honk' when you breath them on land :wink:

crispix:
My credit card got bent from running up charges so fast!

That's funny.

You may post more.

---
Ken

I purchased an atomic B2 and SS1 this year and must say the B2 is the best reg I've ever owned. My SS1 started leaking from the mouthpiece about a month ago so I sent it to Atomic. Haven't recieved it back yet but I'm hoping they'll fix me up soon.

Congrats on the new equipment purchase. I also went with the Scubapro Knighthawk and could not be happier. I went with the Scubapro MK17/S550 with R390 Octo...yep I can't stand the Air 2 or other similar devices. I'm very happy with what I have.

Just bought my own equip after years of renting.

Joined you all with the knighthawk and ended up with the MK17/s555 basically just because the MK is cheaper and we don't have many Atomic dealers around CT.

Going to try out the new gear in Roatan in early November and can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom