Which REG do you recommend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alfred14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just a newbie here. Maybe this question has been ask already. pardon me asking again. Which regulator do you recommend that are reliable and less maintanance.

thanks a lot

Ya think?

:shakehead:

...well, at least it wasn't a Spare Air question..... :)

.....it might help if you mentioned which 'brands' of regs you have available in your area, and how much $ you want to spend......budget reg or expensive reg or what ?

...well, at least it wasn't a Spare Air question..... :)

.....it might help if you mentioned which 'brands' of regs you have available in your area, and how much $ you want to spend......budget reg or expensive reg or what ?

there are alot of brands avail here. we do have apeks, mares, scubapro, aqualung, and others... i almost got a new mares revo but some say that its not worth it. so im just confused.... my aloted budget for this would be $500 - $700 but if there is much cheaper that would your recommendation it would much better.

thanks

I use scubapro regs exclusively and stand by them. If your diving colder water a MK17/S600 is my choice, if you in warmer water a MK25/S600 is a good option, and if your on a budget a mk2+/S600 or MK2+/R190 are good alternatives that can be turned into deco regs if you upgrade later.

T

Scubapro is an extremely solid brand with one of the most liberal warranties in the industry and a very good choice.

For your price range, look at Atomic. Excellent regs and they require servicing every two years instead of annually. You will be paying $60-100 a year for labor to rebuild your reg so the longer you keep the Atomic, the better value it represents.

Personally, I love my Zeagle and it will be a hard sell to make me change to another brand.

Don't worry about asking this question on your first couple of posts; I think that's how I got started on SB, asking about what to buy for my first reg. Now look at all the time I've wasted, oops I mean spent wisely, on this board.

Actually you can learn a lot here, there are some real experts. A good choice if your priorities are reliability and ease of maintenance is the scubapro MK2/R190. It's cheap, bulletproof, and about the simplest reg in the world to service.

I'd recommend the Zeagle Envoy as an entry-level reg.. Atomic makes great regs too. The scubapro regs are solid but pricey and hard to find discounted.

Perhaps you should ask around and see what brand of regs you can get serviced in your area. I bought Apeks regulators because they are so nice but I have to ship them somewhere for service since no one in my area can repair or service Apeks.

Once you find out what brands can be serviced locally, that may narrow your choices.

Take a look at the hose routing from the first stage. Make sure you like what you see. Also, depending on your diving needs, make sure you have enough high-pressure and low-pressure ports for your needs.

Don't base your choice on the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece can be removed easily and replaced with something you like better. I bought a few Apeks Comfobite mouthpieces and replaced all of the other mouthpieces on my Mares, Sherwood and Scubapro regs.

i use apex regs. where you will be diving will influence your decisoin. i bought my regs in australia and they were fairly cheap. when i got home to england i had to fork out on anti freeze thing on the 1st stage and two heat exchangers on both second stages. you local dive shop will be able to advise you on the best choice to suit you.

Back
Top Bottom