Which regs are easiest to repair or cheapest to service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sherwood and ScubaPro regs are pretty easy to repair or service. However, it still depends on the model. I've never opened up a Mares, so I wouldn't know about those. However, even if I bought one for $100 I would service it. Especially since I do my own work.

hoosier:
Only for the money, get the NEW MK2/R190 and use it as long as you need service. Probably it will last two or three years without a service.

It's an interesting idea, but I have to tell you that my MK2 works better now that it has been serviced by a quality tech; I mean better than when it was new, as the IP is set right (pretty high for this reg) and the cracking effort tuned to the IP. But, I get your point because servicing a $200 reg EVERY year really adds up. If the required service on this reg was every 2 years, it would be really cheap to keep it going forever. Then you'd still have the free parts and warranty without spending $50-60 every year on it.

Your post is based on a big "IF"... You know that :)

"IF the requried service is every two years"

Besides Atomic, SP and AquaLung are aksing the annual service to keep the free part promotion or program whatever they call it.

It is the same business strategy as the rental car companies turn around their cars every two or three years. That is much cheapter to run than the maintain cost.

That is my 2 cent observation....

mattboy:
It's an interesting idea, but I have to tell you that my MK2 works better now that it has been serviced by a quality tech; I mean better than when it was new, as the IP is set right (pretty high for this reg) and the cracking effort tuned to the IP. But, I get your point because servicing a $200 reg EVERY year really adds up. If the required service on this reg was every 2 years, it would be really cheap to keep it going forever. Then you'd still have the free parts and warranty without spending $50-60 every year on it.

The idea of buying a cheap reg for a few years, then selling it, and repeating the process is interesting, but not best suited for my circumstances because I've been mainly diving in the Philippines on vacations, and over there reg rental costs about $2 per dive, so if I wanted a cheap, but reliable, low end reg then I'd just keep renting.

I'm more interested in getting something that's better than the rentals, that I could use everywhere for most types of dives, and which I could either learn to service myself, or have it serviced for cheap, so as to make it cost effective in the long run. There's also something tempting about owning your own equipment...

*Floater*:
I'm more interested in getting something that's better than the rentals, that I could use everywhere for most types of dives, and which I could either learn to service myself, or have it serviced for cheap, so as to make it cost effective in the long run. There's also something tempting about owning your own equipment...

I agree about buying your own regs. I own 4 sets at the moment (3 scubapro and 1 dive rite) and will be buying the one in the link above later today for my girlfriend to use. I was just trying to give you a cheap option. I probably won't pitch the Mares or sell it either. I will most likely use it as a test subject when I get around to learning how to service my own regs. Because at my current rate of aquisition I will probably have 8 sets within the next 2 years. At that point (and probably sooner) it definitely makes sense to service your own.

hex92:
I agree about buying your own regs. I own 4 sets at the moment (3 scubapro and 1 dive rite) and will be buying the one in the link above later today for my girlfriend to use. I was just trying to give you a cheap option. I probably won't pitch the Mares or sell it either. I will most likely use it as a test subject when I get around to learning how to service my own regs. Because at my current rate of aquisition I will probably have 8 sets within the next 2 years. At that point (and probably sooner) it definitely makes sense to service your own.

I appreciated your suggestion, and I may pass it to my girlfriend if she decides to get a reg (she's my dive buddy). Also, I think it's a good idea for people on a tight budget diving in areas where regs are expensive to rent.

aranea:
is the warranty of a regulator valid after you service it yourself?

Not unless you're an authorized tech, at least that's my guess.

Hoosier, I agree the cheapest way to go with the MK2 and similar is probably to buy new from a discount place like LP, use for a few years, sell on ebay and replace, but I'm not sure it's the best way. Actually, with something as simple and bulletproof as the MK2, you could probably buy one anywhere, forget the warranty, have the right tech rebuild it every 3-4 years and it would probably work great for 20 years, provided you cared for it as you mentioned. The higher performance regs probably benefit more from regular service, if the tech that does it is a good one.

I think alot of divers underestimate how important it is to have a GOOD tech working on your regs, whether it's yourself after learning or someone who just does quality work. I bought an old G250 and balanced adjustable 2nd from supposed "techs" who sold them as "just serviced" and immediately sent them to a tech who does quality work. He found the G250 loaded with corrosion, leaking flow vane, etc... and the B/A had a U.S. divers diaphragm installed.

Another example is the local SP dealer I bought my MK2 from. The tech there did not know that the MK16 is a diaphragm 1st stage, and insisted that SP "only made piston" 1st stages. This is at a place that has sold MK16s probably since they came out. I don't think it's worth the warranty to have someone like that work on your regs.

mattboy:
It's an interesting idea, but I have to tell you that my MK2 works better now that it has been serviced by a quality tech; I mean better than when it was new,

I think that this is particularly noteworthy. While alot of people play around with regs not really having any formal training. I suppose that even buying a cheap-o reg every couple years is alright. If this is your motto, I think that you had better re-evaluate exactly what this thing is doing for you. Unless you are playing in the pool, or fixing docks, you are taking quite the risk. This is life support equipment. Even if your dives are to moderately shallow depths, (30-50 ft.) there is still a series of risks that you are taking thinking that you can do a CESA.

I think that having a reg looked at by someone who does it for a living and does a good job is the greatest guarantee of security you can get from any piece of dive equipment. On the other hand that is not to say that just because they work at a place that sells the stuff that they are also good at fixing it.

Regulator servicing is way over rated and the dive shop service tech's put way too much self importance on what they do. Forget the life support b-s for a minute and consider what a regulator is, a simple demand valve. Now where else do we use demand valves. Propane fuel regulators on industrial engines. Welding and cutting gas regulators. Flowmeters. Your sink faucet. All of these items are simular to the scuba regulator except for one thing, you don't need to pay a trained, certified technician to change the stinkin "O"ring every year.
The Scubapro MK2 is about as simple as your sink faucet and the o-ring in my sink faucet is going on 12 years. The o-ring in my cutting torch 15 years. My flowmeter, 20 years.
My opinion, thats all it is, even the cheapest scuba regulators are very well made, dependable, safe, and based on the other industrial items that are simular, should last a very long time without servicing.

Back
Top Bottom