Which resort best meets our needs??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We like Blue Angel because it's so small - just 20 rooms - so it feels cozy. Have heard the new owners have made great improvements, but haven't stayed there in a while.

You'll probably be very happy with either choice.

Hello,

I am signed up at Scuba Club 20-27 June 09. I got the All inclusive LITE plan. Which means breakfast and lunch. I will be doing 5 days of diving or more and it will be nice to have those two meals quick and easy. Then head out for dinner each night on the town. It costs less as well to have only two meals a day included. It was a bargain...at least I think so!! The June/July special.

I am interested in trying Blue Angel in the future after reading everyone's glowing comments on Scuba board!!

Is the price between Scuba Club and Blue Angel comparable? I assumed that Scuba Club was quite a bit more expensive. Just curious.....

Jean in MO

June 4-8 Blue Angel
Nov 27-Dec 2 Blue Angel

I haven't checked to see how much you save with the lite plan @ Scuba Club so it's hard to compare apples to oranges.

I'm not sure what your concerns are with Aldora. The Villa is about a five minute's walk from the city (easily done without gear, and with gear, a cheap taxi ride). The dive op picks you up at the dock at the Villa, unless the water conditions don't permit it (which they did the whole nine days we were there). We really enjoyed staying there -- it's a small place, and the managers go out of their way to make you welcome. They even took us to the grocery store the first day! We enjoyed sitting out under the palapa and talking to the other divers.

Unless you are looking for an all inclusive (which I would recommend against, because there are EXCELLENT inexpensive restaurants in town for dinners, if you stay away from the ones on the waterfront) I don't see how you could go wrong with Aldora, especially since you already like the dive op.

Main concerns were having to check gear in and out at a different location and the availability of shore diving since the shop wasn't located at the villas.

I think once you get your gear checked out, it stays on the boat for you. We made one trip to the shop, and thereafter, our gear showed up on our boat.

Shore diving isn't fabulous on Cozumel, because the big reefs are offshore, and the currents are such that you don't want to venture too far out, lest you not be able to return to your starting point. You can dive just off the retaining wall at the Villa; we did it. It's very shallow, but there was a surprising amount of life on the wall itself (including a very cool fire worm) and we found some interesting stuff in the eelgrass bed about 20 yards away, as well.

We did the two day dives each day, and night dives some of the days, and we were content. The night dives rock.

Be sure to set aside a day for a trip to the mainland and cenote tours. Mateo, who was our Aldora guide, is a cave guide as well, and he did a lovely job for us.

Actually either one, BA or SCC would work very well for you, Scuba Club is more of an all-inclusive "resort", behind those stucco walls and wood gates. The food there is supposed to be very good and like most places the staff treat you like family.

Blue Angel's new owners, Eva and Robert, along with many nice improvements to the property it's self, have added breakfast and lunch, on diving days, to the hotel/dive packages, so it is almost become AI, of AI LITE if you will, (I'm still hoping they will consider making the food thing an option when booking, but that's just me), they leave dinner up to you, you can either eat at the hotel which is now serving dinner with a set menu each night or go to town and enjoy one of the MANY great restaruants of Cozumel.

Have never stayed at SCC, but the rooms at BA are large, with fridges, safes and nice sized balconies with drying racks to hang equipment on. Some rooms have new A/C units and the rest of the property is being upgraded as well. The dive shop has lockers, (bring your own lock), rinse bath, outdoor shower, haning racks for drying equipment and if for some reason you forget to take your stuff down, the guys at the shop do a good job of storing it for you so it won't "walk off".

Blue Angel is probably the more economical of the 2 for up front price, but again, dinner and breakfast and lunch on non-dive days are not included in the price.

Both are easily within walking distance of downtown. Scuba club is the closer of the 2, just about a 1/4-1/3 of a mile out of town where Blue Angel is closer to a full mile, but we walk it quite often. Cabs from either one of them should be very reasonable, it is $4 from Blue Angel to the downtown Plaza (square).

Can't speak for SCC's dive op, although folks that use them seem to be pleased with them. I've been diving with Blue Angel for 4-5 years now and have no reason to move on to someone else, although one of these years we are going to budget some extra money for a day or two of "pampered" diving with Christi and BlueXTSea.

Both are know for having good shore diving, although Coz is not know for it's shore diving, both areas have great reputations for finding lots of critters, mostly juvies, but with some searching you can find a lot of them. Actually the entire stretch from the International Pier all the way north to Scuba Club is where most of the "good" shore diving is on the island.

Villablanca would also be a good choice, it is just a short distance further than BA and will offer the same shore diving opportunities and again not be too far out of town.

Back
Top Bottom