Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Aqualung

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Scubapro

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA.25

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What is the order in which I should buy my diving equipment.

Which things should I get first and which things should I get last.

:sblogo:

They all make great quality gear. You will have to decide on the application and get the appropriate kit. I personally prefer ScubaPro

Assume you already have your standard mask/fins/snorkel - if not, then they are first. Otherwise, I'd get your exposure protection first - wetsuit, drysuit, whatever is applicable.
I'd then attempt to save up and buy your BC, regs and computer together. You can usually get a package discount for buying all at once either online or at your local LDS

edit - as far as gear brands, I can't really say much - I have an Atomic mask which is great, Mares fins whech i also like but my "main" gear is Oceanic (reg,comp) and Aeris(BC)

There is no Special Order. I would get whatever is less available to rent, or what you do not want to rent 1st. For me if I had to make that choice it would go (BC/Reg's/Computer/suit)
As far as which one

BCD -- Backplate/wing (Halcyon Eclipse--Diverite Transpac--Hollis--Hog etc...)
Reg's--Scubapro or Atomic both make excellent reg's. ( More of what type of diving and water temps) I own both
Computer -- Oceanic has a nice line
Wetsuit-- Bare or Henderson
Drysuit -- Bare is my favorite or DUI Either suit is a great choice

I personally do not stick with just 1 particular brand I use whatever works best & is most comfortable for the dive I'm doing.

I totally agree, don't get hung up on brands. Get what you need at affordable prices n for dives you are going to be doing.

After getting the basics, masks, booties/fins, snorkels, wetsuit/dry suit & I would personally choose these in this order:

1. BCD a bp/w or back inflate, a jacket if you prefer to take photos as a regular jacket seems to be better at odd positions. Buoyancy control is one of most important skills and the more familiar you are with your bcd the better your buoyancy.

I'll avoid at all costs bcds that look like a cross between a blimp and a hardware shop. Those things take forever to try and plain creep me out! I'm really glad my bp/w dries so quickly.

I am the long lanky type so a regular bcd fits me like an oversize tee and rides up on me at the surface.

This is a great deal:
BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite
Get the deluxe harness if you are not familiar with the hog system.

If you really want a jacket the Dacor Talon looks fine:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DacorTalon

2. Computer or bottom timer. The Nitek trio looks like a really good start up n has a good if somewhat basic bottom timer.

3. Regs, get a sealed unit if you intend to dive cold n something easily serviced overseas in case of malfunctions. In hindsight, I would have chosen the Apek DS4 atx/xtx50 as it's really reliable, tough and affordable. My ds4s are currently serving duty as deco regs and have been down past 60m.

SangP

I would second the general idea of buying first your mask, snorkel and fins (basic gear) and then what is not available for rent.
Normally the LDSs rent the minimum required gear, this is wetsuit, reg setup, BCD and tank (of course). You can have that for granted.
Then comes what you need to dive comfortable and geared for the dive , boot, gloves, hood, PDC, compass, knife, torches.
The gear available for rent, depending on the LDS, country, place, is, more or less, really used and abused.
For the time I've rented, I've found that wetsuits are teared , unsewed, unglued. BCDs that hardly keep the air in the bladders, broken pockets, inflator malfunctions, etc.
Regulators are taken with more care by the LDS, as a reg malfunction can cause a casualty.
Tanks are always taken with care, at least this is my experience.
So, for me, the order should be, and this is what I did :

1) Mask, fins and snorkel (needed for the OWD course)
2) Boots, gloves, knife and torch (main) (for night dives). Boots are required if you choose open heel fins.
3) Digital Camera and Water proof housing (if you like UW Photo).
4) Compass and PDC
5) BCD
6) Wetsuit and hooded vest
7) Reg setup

I have no plans to buy a tank, as there is no compressor facility near home, so, no use to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom