Which sharks to cook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just don't see any reason to hunt sharks. We're losing all of our large Great Whites as it is. Before the big shark hunts in the 40's and 50's, we had plenty of large Great White's over 20 feet long. Now, there's only been one spotting that I know of of a Great White over 20 feet. Otherwise, they're either all dead or living out in the Great Deep where it's almost impossible to find them. It just makes me sad to see people go out and hunt sharks and whales for fun. :crying: Don't take this as a negative thing for those of you that do hunt sharks and whales, I just want to state my opinion that I think that it's a stupid thing to do. :crying:

I personally base my gametaking on personal ethics.I leave animals that are in danger alone even if allowed legally to take them.I base most of my decisions on SAMFC,NMFS and also local data.I love mako,blacktip and spinner sharks but limit my take to less than 10 a year combined.There are simply tastier,more abundant and replenishable seafood.Finning is a misuse of resources and should carry some serious intl. repercussions.

We're losing all of our large Great Whites as it is. Before the big shark hunts in the 40's and 50's, we had plenty of large Great White's over 20 feet long. Now, there's only been one spotting that I know of of a Great White over 20 feet.

Real shortage of them up in Indiana lately, and bet you havent seen too many Megladons up there in the last couple of weeks either. (just pullin your cork)
I was brought up if you take the all from a animal you use all of that animal and If I ever got a recipe for venison rack soup or hoof stew I might try that too. Once again the economics, and methods of harvest of most species is at best wasteful, and too often imbedded in politics and for lack of a better term "custom". Our wonderful fed, state, and specialty orgs that know everything have agendas which generally arent good for anyone or thing involved, but inspite of it nature generally adapts and outsmarts all foes to some degree and marches on.
Now that I danced around Rachael Carson lets get back to basics and culinary arts. Shark kabobs are a true joy generally unwillingly donated by black tips and some or the other locals, and steaks from makos and spinners rival swordfish and I believe Ill head over to the port and partake in some of this fair and reafirm my conviction to PETA (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

I'm not sure of what species you have over there, but over this side of the pond I usually opt for something a bit tastier, like a grouper or snapper.
I've eyeballed & pinched black tip & lemon sharks when they got on the hook (lots of meat), but so far the only one I don't cut loose right away is the cazon, or spiny dogfish.
They're mighty tastey done up properly.

Mako and small blacktips are tasty.

Most sharks, however, taste like pizz; most species literally urinate through their skin.

Most sharks, however, taste like pizz; most species literally urinate through their skin.
After marinating in tequila for a couple hours, that taste goes down the drain (with the tainted tequila). Some folks use buttermilk or plain milk, I always liked to keep the recipe "original".

DON'T EAT ANY SHARKS. Much better idea.

Come on guys, have none of you learned? They're getting overfished at a rate that is not even alarming anymore - it's offensive.

I hate to be the guy on the soapbox, but I want my son to be able to have a good chance of seeing sharks when he is old enough to dive, and in 15 years, that's just not going to be a reality if things keep up the way they do.

Sorry to break up the BBQ.....I'll retreat back to the New England Divers forum.

No sharks left eh?

Gee, 'coulda fooled me..... they're all over the place around here...

Genesis:
No sharks left eh?

Gee, 'coulda fooled me..... they're all over the place around here...

I didn't say that there were no sharks left. I said that they're getting overfished, and I do believe if things continue the way they are their numbers will be permanently altered. I see cod while I'm diving in New England; I see lobster, scallops, striped bass, etc. Just because I see them doesn't mean their numbers and average sizes aren't dropping dramatically. You can't exploit a species like sharks that mature so late in life and expect there not to be consequences.

I didn't mean to turn this into some kind of left-wing radical protest, because believe me, that just isn't me; but I would be remiss if I didn't take a stand on this and at least suggest we exercise extreme caution in how much fishing pressure we put on these animals. Remember - a live shark is worth exponentially more money than a dead one. At the very least, consider that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom