Which side for safe 2nd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilD

Reaction score
I'm newly qualified and have heard different things about which side the safe 2nd should go on, or does it even matter?

The instructor on my ANDI CSU course said it should go the left, as everything on the left can be used by a buddy, and everything on the right is for yourself. I've also seen it mentioned other places that both primary and secondary should go on the right. The right/left theory sounds more logical to me though and would be my preferred choice. I use a pony (yes, I've read the many arguments for and against) and was told that it should also be mounted on the left.

Thanks for any insight into right, left, or doesn't matter.

I'm a new diver as well...finished my PADI course in July. My instructor trained me to attach my alternate air source on the right side within the chest area where it is readily accessible. With this configuration, as two divers face each other in an out-of-air situation, right hands can be free to hold on to your buddy while both divers have left hands free to control their low pressure inflators for a controlled ascent.

Of course there are other acceptable configurations. The bottom line is that whatever configuration you choose should be discussed with your buddy prior to the dive. You might even want to practice the skill early in your dive. You can never be too careful out there.

Dive safe.

~LittleFrog

Never heard that "anything on the left is available for your buddy"... your BC inflator is on the left, as is your console/SPG... that's complete nonsense.

I donate the reg from my mouth and have a backup hung under my chin with a bungee. If a diver is OOA, he doesn't have to bother looking "somewhere in the triangle formed by my shoulders and buckle"... and he probably won't. He's likely to grab a reg that he knows is working... the one I'm using. Fine... let him have it. My backup is a half-second away.

The only left/right "rules" that I've heard is that anything on your right is primary and anything on your left is backup.

I tend to think that in an emergency a diver will go for the easy option, the reg in your mouth, so I keep my octo bunged just below my collar bone so I can use that when an OOA diver grabs my primary.

Personally dive a bungied octo but see a variety of divers over here with octos on the left and right it works both ways as long as you practice donating from whatever side you have it on

Just remember when someone is out of air they are probably going to grab your primary anyway so practice getting your octo in your own mouth also.

Began with the octo on the right. I switched it so that my console
was on the right and octo left. I did this so I can bleed my BCD while surfacing with my left hand and moniter my depth with my right.

Whatever works for you, and the comfort/safety of your dive.

IMHO.

Safe diving

:wink:

I'm newly qualified and have heard different things about which side the safe 2nd should go on, or does it even matter?

I think most agencies teach that it's not so much which side the octo comes in from as where it is hung. Most agencies teach that it should be "in the triangle". That is, the area bounded by the chin & both sides of the ribcage.

The main point is that you and your buddy should do a complete BWRAF before getting into the water so that you can familiarize yourselves with each other's gear configuration, especially alternate air sources and how to use them.

japan-diver once bubbled...
Personally dive a bungied octo but see a variety of divers over here with octos on the left and right it works both ways as long as you practice donating from whatever side you have it on

Just remember when someone is out of air they are probably going to grab your primary anyway so practice getting your octo in your own mouth also.

It is for exactly these reasons that I teach my students to donate their primary and to use the secondary for themselves. First, the OOA diver will very likely grab your primary long before you see his OOA signal if he/she even gives one. Second, the location and operation of secondary air sources varies from one diver to another and is intimately familiar only to that diver. However, the primary is always in the same place (your mouth) and always works the exact same way.

Keep in mind you have secondaries on the left, on the right, Air2 (air integrated), pony bottles, spare air, etc. etc. etc. Learn to donate the primary and you have one skill that works one way under all circumstances and you won't be confused with a real OOA diver yanking your primary out of your mouth.

Practice retrieving, clearing and using your own secondary air until you can do it with either hand (you never know which one will be free at that instant) without looking or thinking about it!

just my own 2psi

I am assuming..(hate that word) that your basic query is regarding hose routing. All of this is exellent advice.

BIGSAGE136 once bubbled...
I am assuming..(hate that word) that your basic query is regarding hose routing.

Yes it is, apologies if I wasn't clear. I'm still fathoming out everything and hear different things from different people, some of which makes no sense at all, which I note but don't take much notice of; some of which sounds logical, but is contrary to what others say. So I'm trying to get as much as info as possible so I can start by doing the right thing, rather than get into bad habits.

Donating the primary makes sense too, even though I was told never to donate my primary and always donate my secondary, although it was admitted that in an OOA situation the first I may know about it is when someone snatches the primary out of my mouth.

I only have 36" hoses on both, from reading other threads I guess one of the first things I need to do is get longer hoses, which definitely makes sense.

Thanks for all the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom