Which springs for a long weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ektess1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a four day weekend this week.
I have never been to any of the springs nor parks in northern florida.
I want to go to the springs. I am only AOW
My wife is not a diver. Maybe snorkel.
We have a dog. Can leave him if necessary. Prefer to take him.
Primitive camping.
No buddy, so snorkel only.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Dive at Ginnie, camp there, go dive Devils Den and Blue Grotto(very near each other), camp at Devils Den. Drive to Alexander Springs and dive there and Paradise Springs, camp somewhere, then maybe go check out Orange City(Volusia Co) Blue Spring.

*shrugs*

Lots of stuff up there is still flooded out, so your options are somewhat limited.

Ginnie probably covers it all with minimum fuss and some snorkleing and tubing opportunities for a non diver.

I agree with Ginnie. More to do for non divers
but not hard to find a buddy there usually. You wont get in Devils Den snorkeling and Blue Grotto isnt a Good snorkel or Paradise. Save your money and come back to dive those. Troy is a good snorkel, Alexander too.

You can skip diving the state parks if don't have a buddy... but most of them are good for camping and some even have cabins. Blue Spring in Orange City is a nice dive and I'll try to find time to do it with you if you want.

If the two of you want to really have some snorkeling fun, don't miss Ichetucknee Springs. The aforementioned Blue Grotto and Devil's Den aren't cheap but definitely something you should do at least once. If you can find a buddy, my list of State Park springs include Blue Spring, Alexander Springs, Manatee Springs and Troy Springs.

Ken

Vortex, Morrison, and Cypress can make for a good set of days if he wants to drive up to the panhandle. The paddle to Cypress by canoe is very nice. Vortex offers a bit for non-divers.

Troy is closed due to flooding. I haven't heard that Manatee is opened back up, I'd verify you can get in if you even consider that location.

No dogs allowed at Ginnie or Vortex.

I also recommend taking a cavern course before you attempt to dive the springs. It will be a lot safer and much more enjoyable. It's probably too late to arrange that for this weekend, but it's something you should consider for a future trip.

Thanks for the help.
I am interested in both cavern and cave. This trip is to check out the springs and see if it is really something that I want to do.

I apologize, this has nothing to do with the original question, but I would highly recommend a rescue class before cavern and/or cave class.

I saw someone mention Paradise, and I had to laugh out loud when I thought about someone snorkeling there. If you have been there, you will understand why.

Have a good time, whatever you decide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom