Which tables should you believe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Look for an ACUC affiliated dive center. They use those tables as well.
The DCIEM tables predate RGBM by a decade or so and also predates the concept of deep stops so I don't think they were considered.
Thanks Dave. I didn't realize that they had been around for so long. I still have the old US Navy Dive tables and am thinking of changing to something else, based on many of the discussions that I've followed here on SB.

Christian

Looking at the NOB tables the deepest stop they use is 12meters/39feet. I'm not a deco diver so I don't really know what a true deep stop is but I suspect it's not that!!

My basic scuba course was ACUC using DCIEM Sport Diving Tables. Copyright Her Majesty The Queen, 1990.

Deep stops are not included.

My table (it's sitting right in front of me) does not match the Dutch version that KimLeece posted, but the Dutch table was printed in 1999.

cancun mark:
As far as I know no-one has completed a table like this, and DAN is the only group that have attempted it, I believe that their impirical table is not finished yet. Someone may be able to enlighten us on that though.

You are talking about Project Dive Exploration, but there will not be a set of tables to come out of it. It will mostly look at what kinds of profiles are more dangerous, and stats on DCS; rates of occurance and risk groups. PDE might point out where tables have problems, and others will incorporate the data into their own formulas.

:wink: Here's a novel Idea, for all of those who either question the "accuracy" of dive tables of any form, and those who are truely just learning to "feel" the dive;

Take notes, lots of them. After every dive, don't just write down what you saw and where you were... write down how you felt. How fast did you ascend? What did you eat the day before? What did you drink? At what depth and for how long did you do your safety stop? Maybe you should do it deeper and longer next time. That's what the log book is for! Heck, make enough notes and you can truely make your own customized tables. You truely have to take an active roll in learning about YOUR diving, not the guy next to you. I don't care what tables you use, I just hope you know how to use them, not just read them.

One thing, the first thing, I was taught by my first instructor was to be aware of yourself and how you feel. Not only before the dive, but even more importantly after the dive. At the end of the day, it's not the tables fault if your 30lbs overweight, smoke 2 packs a day, and just had a cheeseburger for lunch, and you don't understand why you feel ****y after a dive. It's about paying atention to yourself and how you dive, not about what tables or computers are better. The tables are only as safe as the diver that's using them.

I have spent the better-part of the evening reading several Threads that refer to dive tables, computers, certification organizations and thier "money hungry ways" (which I firmly do not belive by the way). All forms of diving come with a significant level of danger based on a sliding scale of the individuels experince and certification. Dive tables, all dive tables, are theoretic examples based on averages... it's not accounting, it's SCUBA DIVING!!!

This is how we get better, dive safer and become more conscious of other divers and thier needs, and most importantly... help the sport/profession grow and progress.

headhunter:
Thanks Dave. I didn't realize that they had been around for so long. I still have the old US Navy Dive tables and am thinking of changing to something else, based on many of the discussions that I've followed here on SB.

Christian
Hey Christian, I found some for you. Get in touch with this shop
http://www.wilsondiving.com/main/index.php

I was in there today and he has about a dozen DCIEM tables.
If you PM me I can send them to you as well
cheers,

wedivebc:
Hey Christian, I found some for you. Get in touch with this shop
http://www.wilsondiving.com/main/index.php

I was in there today and he has about a dozen DCIEM tables.
If you PM me I can send them to you as well
cheers,
Thanks Dave. Do they make the DCIEM tables using Imperial measurements or do they only make them using Metric measurements?

Christian

headhunter:
Thanks Dave. Do they make the DCIEM tables using Imperial measurements or do they only make them using Metric measurements?

Christian
In spite of the fact that Canada officially adopted the metric system in the mid 70s it's out dirty little secret that most of us still use imperial units. So the answer is the tables he had were readable by most north americans.

cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom