Which Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerKnee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking into buying tanks, but I'm really not sure what size or material to go with and I figured I'd get some good recommendations here.

I'm leaning towards an 80 or 67 size wise but still not sure what material... steel or AL?
I can get about an hour out of an AL80 on a 60-70ft dive and about 45mins out of an AL67. I'm thinking my air consumption will get better with more experience, so I'm not quite sure what to do. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

Kris

Depends on what type of diving your going to be doing. If you thinking an 80 would be good I would move to a 100. Worthing X7-HP100 (High Pressure) There is not much of weight difference between the tanks and they have way better bouyancy Characteristics the an AL80. As they dont get positive at the end of the dive. And they also hold about 25% more Air If you decide to do longer/Deeper dives later this tank will suit you better off. Also if when you ever decide Deepending on How big you are these tanks are easier to Double up (IMO)

What water temperature and thermal protection will you be using? Recreational only or plan to do technical diving? Overhead?

That's what went through my mind, too, iztok. I've been thinking about buying tanks, so going through the same thought process. Guam sounds like it would be warm water, and if you are diving without a wetsuit you might have a hard time not being too negative with some steel tanks.

If you can tell more about your planned diving/equipment, I bet you will get more specific, tailored answers.

Also, there is a nice chart that shows tank statistics, so you can see physical size, land weight, and buoyancy characteristics, here:

http://www.huronscuba.com/equipment/scubaCylinderSpecification.html

Last edited:
Blue Sparkle, basically I figured out that I'll keep 4 AL80s (doubles + 2 for stage) and pair my HP119s. If I am diving wet (3 or 5mm) I'll dive AL80 if I am diving drysuit I am diving steel.

Hi iztok,

You know, my last post might have been a bit confusing. I mean to be saying to the OP, that I was thinking along the same lines as you, i.e. asking the OP for more details.

Not that I'm not interested in what you have decided on; it's good to hear your reasoning, etc. :)

Sorry about that, should of put more info up...

Guam has pretty warm waters, so yeah no suit just a rash guard, but I will be moving, probably this year, to LA so I probably need to be prepared for the colder water. Also I eventually plan on trying to get into some technical, but for now just recreational.

I know that's kind of a lot of stuff to consider so I guess what I'm asking is, what is the best option for that, if there is one...

Thanks again

I, too, would suggest the hp100. They are great tanks from all aspects.
Smaller and lighter than an aluminum 80, hold 23 more cubic feet of gas, negatively buoyant allowing you to remove some lead from your waist, trim out beautifully . . . .

All pluses . . .

the K

I prefer steel for their bouyancy characteristics, ALI tanks are good for deco/stages bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom