Which Underwater Camera should I choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm interested in starting in some underwater photography... budget is a major concern, and I would like someting that will take pretty good quality pictures... hopefully not too grainy... does that mean some sort of flash... finally do I get a regular digital camera and some sort of housing for it or how does that work.

As you can no doubt tell, I know nothing about the subject at this point.

Thank you all for any input.

Check for leftover Canon A570IS with Canon housing. Takes very nice pictures for under $350 if you can still find one. Saw one recently on sale at Sport Chalet. If you're willing to spend more, try the new A2000IS in an Ikelite housing. Big screen, 4X zoom, custom white balance, available short port for wide angle lens, built in flash works in housing or Ikelite offers a variety of strobes to upgrade to. About $650 for the basics.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I've used a Casio Exilim Z1000 for a couple years now, with very good results. It's a couple models out of date ... I think they're up to something like a Z1080 now. I like it because it's very compact (and easy to carry), has a large LCD screen (easy to see what you're shooting), simple to use (completely automatic), takes very nice pictures (if you click on the web site in my sig line you can see some of the photos I've taken with it), and comes at a very nice price. You can get the camera, Casio housing, and 2 Gbyte card for around $500.

I started out with a Fuji ... they've got a nice line of inexpensive point and shoot cameras. One thing I loved about the Fuji was the richness of colors it produces. I may look into some of their newer models and get another one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's great to house a camera that you know and use. Canon and Olympus are fairly easy to match up with a housing, check first. Use daily topside, then you'll be way ahead of the curve when using it underwater.

I'm also interested in a camera. Have a cheap 35 mm film camera, made mostly bad pics, so was interested in a digital, maybe a canon. Looking at amazon and ebay, found a A590is for 125$, but no case, the best deal on amazon is a fantasea fsd 1100 w/ canon sd1100 for 353.46, but does not include an external strobe. What I've read is you need a strobe to get decent pics below about 30', or shoot up toward the surface. Most everything I want to shoot is on the bottom. Like an eel in a hole. Now that I'm getting past 100 dives, seems like I need something to do while diving. Jim

I have a Sealife DC600 (6mp). Good beginner camera outfit. It has been replaced by the DC 800 (8mp). The entire kit can be had for about $800. That's the camera, housing, adjustable strobe, wide angle lens, carrying case, care kit & all cables needed. Pretty much everything. Takes good photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom