Which universal strobe kit for my P&S?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boogs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm a newly certified diver and have taken interest in underwater photography. I am no stranger to taking photos on land but I'm not yet that familiar with the underwater environment. I take a Sony T300 compact with me whenever I dive (got it for about $250 with the OEM housing about a year ago), but I plan to upgrade to a more capable P&S in the future as mine does not have manual settings.

I have been reading about strobes and decided that I would like to get one that I can use with my current kit. So far I have narrowed down to either an Intova ISS2000($190) or a Sea&Sea YS-17($350). Both include a diffuser, fibre optic cable, and the tray & arm. However, the YS-17 is a bit more expensive. I would like to be able to use it still when I upgrade or switch to a different camera & housing. What do I get for spending extra for the Sea&Sea? Are there any compatibility issues that I have to be aware of? Do either of them have any features that my current camera won't be able to utilize?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Yes Sea and Sea or Ikelite AF35 will work. We like both. and either will do the trick for that Cam. Either will be upgradable to another Point and Shoot.

Thanks Hollywood! Any experience with the Intova?

Check out here: Optical Ocean Sales Single Modular Ultramax Lighting Set - Point & Shoot Lighting Packages - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

This guy sells the Ultramax version of the Intova strobe. I plan on getting this one, since it's got an independently sealed battery compartment, which the ISS 2000 doesn't have. There's also a blog where this guy discusses what niche the Ultramax strobe fills.

I figure if I need more light than this strobe can provide, I can add another strobe later and this tray\arm kit is expandable.

Now keep in mind, I have no experience with this stuff. My UW photography experience is limited to using a very rudimentary P&S only and I'm in the process of upgrading. I just wanted to share this link, since I thought it was helpful to me. YMMV.

Last edited:
Sorry just had to bump this. Any other inputs?

I'm in the same boat.... Just picked up a Panasonic ZS3 & OEM housing and looking for a strobe for recreational shooting...

If you are looking to upgrade your P&S in the future, I would make sure you get a strobe you will not outgrow quickly as well, one that will be ideal with your new P&S when you get it.

My recommendations would be one of the following:

Sea & Sea YS-27DX

Inon S-2000

The 27DX is a great price. The S-2000 is a very powerful strobe for the money and is VERY compact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom