Which wetsuit in the Caymans in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our trip to LC was in Dec 2010. A norther had just blown through and there were no boats going out the two days before we arrived. We got out our first dive day and the diving at Jacksons was great. It was rough with 3-4 seas and wind. Towards the end of our 2nd dive with my group near the boat we heard what sounded like a gunshot. It was the mooring line - it had snapped. Thats how rough it was. I signaled the DM and we all surfaced. It was quite an experience trying to get everyone to and in the boat with the wind blowing on shore. We were not sure whether we would end up on the boat or the shore as the boat and divers were being blown fairly quickly towards the shore. The Capt and crew were awesome. It was on this trip that we learned the value of warm clothing topside in the boat, even if it was the relatively short periods on the boat rides in and out and for the SI.

No. I dive in Grand Cayman every week and the water temp yesterday was 81. Swim shorts and a rash vest is all I use all year round. If you feel the cold more then a shorty may be needed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Different strokes.
I was there 2 weeks ago and was glad I had my 5.
I think how chilled you feel has to do with how many dives you do repetitively.
After 3 or 4 tanks, I feel pretty cold if I don't have enough neoprene on.

Was there four weeks ago and very glad I had my 5. Even added my lavacore for afternoon dives. Most in our group had 5s.

Rob

Just got back Sunday. Water temp was 82. I just wore a long sleeve rash guard and was never cold. My wife wore the same thing and got cold during surface intervals if the sun wasn't out. Everyone has a different tolerance for cold, which makes these types of questions difficult to answer.

At home in So Cal, I wear a full 7mm with hood, boots and gloves. I can tough it out until it hits about 58, at which point I don't want to dive anymore. Part of my love of diving cayman is that I don't need a wetsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 08:17 PM ----------

Just got back Sunday. Water temp was 82. I just wore a long sleeve rash guard and was never cold. My wife wore the same thing and got cold during surface intervals if the sun wasn't out. Everyone has a different tolerance for cold, which makes these types of questions difficult to answer.

At home in So Cal, I wear a full 7mm with hood, boots and gloves. I can tough it out until it hits about 58, at which point I don't want to dive anymore. Part of my love of diving cayman is that I don't need a wetsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I am going to Caymans next week, first on the Aggressor for a week and then 3 days of diving at Little Cayman. I decided to take both my 2.5mm shorty and 5mm full wetsuit and thus be prepared for all eventualities.

Whatever you wear I hope you enjoy it. One of my best dives ever was being dropped into the blue off Bloody Bay Wall in Little Cayman and swimming towards it. Without referring to my dive computer there was no way of telling whether I was at 15 feet or 60 feet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am going to the Cayman Islands in January 2014 - a week of liveaboard diving on the Aggressor followed by 8 more dives over 3 days at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. Do I need to pack my 5mm full suit or can I get away with the 2.5mm shorty? I am about average in feeling the cold while diving.

Hi Hintermann,

I have many dives off Grand Cayman and Little Cayman year round. I generally dive a full 3 mm with or without a 5/3 mm hooded vest. I believe that your 2.5 mm shorty would be insufficient. Your full 5 mm would probably be just fine, I doubt you would be too warm. You might even want to invest in a beanie or hood in case the water is cooler. Personally, I like being warm and toasty.

My wife and I will be in Little Cayman the 1st week of February. We'll likely have our full 5's with backup hoods.

Good diving, Craig

---------- Post added January 4th, 2014 at 07:12 PM ----------

At 82 degrees, I'd be wearing my 3 mm full suit.

I dive similarly equiped several times a year in San Diego. The bottom temps are usually 52-3 degrees and I do fine until the temp drops to the high 40s.

Good diving, Craig

I just returned from Grand Cayman... Did 10 days of diving, 3 dives a day, in a full 3mm and a 2mm beanie. I was very comfortable. Did Stingray city in a rash guard and board shorts and I was a tad chilly...

I'm packing right now for my flight tonight to Little Cayman. I already have a 3/2 down there, but it's a cheapie so I'm taking a better 3/2. I looked at packing my 5 mil, but no matter how I go at it that puts me over the baggage weight limit. I've never used a 5 there in well over a thousand dives, so I'm sure I can get by without it. I just keep thinking back to my last dive on Little Cayman last March. The water was 80F, but I was freezing. The problem is that I was down for 1 hr. 50 min., and it is amazing how time can suck the heat energy out of your body. My average bottom time is 76 min., and a 3/2 is good enough for that. I'll just try to keep them short this time!

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom