Which wetsuit in the Caymans in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only managed to get in two dives this week due to weather and other factors. First dive at Turtle reef I wore a 2mm shortie and was a little overheated. Second at Sunset House was bathing suite only and was quite comfortable. Water temp both times was right around 80.

First dive at Turtle reef I wore a 2mm shortie and was a little overheated. Water temp both times was right around 80.

Thanks for your input! I'm a Minnesota Native and enjoy the cold-BUT NOT IN THE WATER!! Plan on a Dec.-Jan. trip and will bring, (at any costs!), neoprene. Since everyone is different, it would be helpful if more of you GC divers would post: your preference of suit(s); where and at what depth you wore them; water temps at depth and maybe a bit about yourself.... (as in: you are sensitive to diving cold water).

These posts are VERY helpful in trip planning and I do appreciate SCUBA-Board and an opportunity to learn from all of you here.

I spend every winter on Little Cayman and am out diving every day. The water temperature in January will probably be about 80F, but it could be as cold as 78F or as warm as about 81F. In any case, I always use a 3mm full suit. I have two of them--one much better made and tighter fitting than the other, which makes it a little warmer. I actually prefer the cheapie, because it keeps me warm enough and is easier to get on and off.

You will see some people wearing a 5mm suit, but I really think that's overkill. And I do remember one DM who always wore a 7mm suit in the winter. I thought that was absurd at the time, and still do. On the other hand, I'm a little skeptical of shorties, though that's what you'll probably find the resorts have in rental. If it's warm enough for a shortie, I would opt for a 1mm full suit instead.

Bruce

zf2nt.... Ok... that's good info to know. I wear a shorty, but a tight 3 mil. After an hour in 75 deg. water I'm still pretty comfy, so I guess 3 mm out to be good. Seems to me, my Feb. dives in Hawaii got a bit chilly near the end of the dive but, by memory, the water was colder... around 70. I guess if I go full nylon underneath I should be fine. Never been cold enough for a 7mm for sure, except in deep Midwestern lakes!

Back
Top Bottom