Which wide angle lens with Olympus 8080

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mscrog

Reaction score
I recently bought an Olympus 8080 off of e-bay with a PT-023 case. I was wondering which wide angle lens would be best for this camera? We are going on the Fiji Aggressor in June and I would like to get good shots of the colorful soft coral. Thanks.

Well, there's the oly wide angel converter, which needs an adapter. This combination won't fit into a standard PT-023 housing, you need a larger port.
Further, there are some other wide angle converters that will fit onto the 58 mm diameter of the lens, but these also won't fit the standard port...
I'd advise you to go with the cam as is, it's a WZ after all. Quite some Wide Angle reach, IMO.
Or dish out some some $$ for a bigger port...

Hi!
If your housing has the same diameter as the PT 020 (that goes with the 5060) then I can only warmly recommend an Inon Wideangle lens. It is fantastic and fits on the housing.
/Ulrika

Hi Ulrika,

Yes, that would be nice, but the diameter of the PT 023 port is probably 3 or 4 times as large as the PT-020. There will never be a lens that fits onto the housing....

Waterbase

I just bought the Raynox DCR-FE180PRO fisheye lens for my C-8080

f3nikon:
I just bought the Raynox DCR-FE180PRO fisheye lens for my C-8080

When you use it can you post some pics. I might be interested in the near future, if the wife agrees.
Tks

victor:
When you use it can you post some pics. I might be interested in the near future, if the wife agrees.
Tks

Here are some pics from the Raynox website, my camera and lens are at home:

http://raynox.co.jp/comparison/digital/comp_c5050z.htm#dcr-fe180pro

http://raynox.co.jp/comparison/digital/comp_c8080wz.htm#dcr-fe180pro

And for Larry's post, that’s only the Athena dome port at over $500, you will also need the RT6267CW Adapter $$$? and the Raynox lens.

The Raynox DCR-FE180PRO fisheye lens is $350. But this is the best quality lens for wide-angle use. The depth of field and sharpness is incredible!

And the colors are about as true is the image taken without the fisheye lens. Look at the examples from the Raynox website DCR-FE180PRO (scroll down to the middle of the page) the first garden pic is without the fisheye the second and third are with the fisheye taken from the same distance! Just think how much backscatter you will be cutting out!

I am not sure how far you want to go with U/W photography, the Athena system is the best for point and shoot cameras. The next level is a DSLR with a wide-angle lens like the Nikon 10.5mm or the Olympus 8mm.

Wow, I ordered a fisheye lens (land, not underwater) for my SP350 a couple of days ago - can't wait to get it now! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom