Whistle signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any standard whistle signals for use at the surface? How do you distinguish between, 'We're over here, come and get us,' and, 'We're drowning over here, come and get us ASAP'?

Zept

1. Tweeeet!!! TwwwwEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

2. Tweeee-glug-cough-splutter

Seriously, this is the first I have ever seen this question. So I don't know if there is a 'standard' signal

Signals in groups of three indicate distress.
Three whistle blasts, three gun shots etc.

Tweet tweet tweet, ... Tweet tweet tweet, ...
repeat, would get my attention and a very fast investigation as to the trouble.

michael

I was taught the same thing as pipedope although it wasn't related to diving. Certainly something that should be part of the pre-dive briefing.

Yes this was my teaching as well. Three blasts as in SOS stands for distress.

Dive Safe .....................Arduous

For the more general, "were over here please pick us up." Try a single long (about 5 seconds or longer) blast, with waving of your signal sausage or a lift bag.
If needed, time the waving and blasting to coincide with your being on the top of a swell so that it will be more easily heard and you will be more easily seen.

michael

I've also been taught that signaling in groups of three is a distress signal. Other than that, I don't know of any standards, except maybe these which were taught in a kayaking course:

1 blast = calls attention (combined with visual signals such as hand signals).
2 blasts = regroup together with the leader/buddy.
3 blasts = need emergency assistance.

Of course, there are pilot's whistle signals as well, and it's good to know them if you'll be spending time on the water.

Pilot's whistle signals

Notice that three blasts can be interpreted as a vessel reversing or leaving port, so try not to be mistaken for a vessel.

The three blasts of a ships whistle does indicate astern propulsion but is rarely used out of port.
When a ship is about to leave the dock it will normally give the attention signal of one LONG blast followed by the three short.

You can also send SOS, short short short long long long short short short, silent interval, repeat SOS. This has NO other meaning than HELP!!!!

You can also check with the boat captain during the predive briefing what signals he (she) is most likely to respond to. It is always good to review procedures frequently and *every* time you are working with new people.

michael

Whatever signals you use, it's important to review them with your support network, including your buddy, divemaster, captain, etc.

Back
Top Bottom