White Shark Cage Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark diving at the Farallon's is a hit or miss deal, with no refunds. They can only chum with fish, no mammal blood. Your time would probably be better spent in Monterey diving Point Lobos or some of the other spectacular dive sites.

In fact, GWA can't chum at all since it's inside the marine sanctuary. No blood whatsoever; strictly decoys.

I made a trip several years ago in the heighth of the season and one fish showed up, last dive of the day, when a single diver was in the cage.

The operators informed us that just the day before they had twelve different sharks, so......hit or miss indeed, and an expensive lesson from mother nature.

Everyone will tell you this: save up for the $2500 5-day trip to the Isla de Guadalupe. 70 degree water, 80+ foot vis, chumming, and a lot of big fishies. Plus, they actually offer the only night dives with whites in the world, I believe.

Easier said than done, right?

The cost is high and like others said here , there is no guarntee of seeing a shark..I know some of the guys that work the deck on the boat,(they work the fishing boats as deck hands too) they told me that it isn't often a shark is seen or that the vis is good enough to see one unless it come right to the cage..

Your in a cage right at the back of the boat and it isn't totally submerged..I don't know if your on air hooka or what...I agree with everyone else here..you do better go on a dive boat in monterey and then to the aquarium to visit the great white they have there now...

A friend of mine went out with them on two different occasions and never saw a thing except passengers chumming. :vomit: Technically that's illegal too.

So it kinda looks like it's not even a 50 percent chance. Plus, that much money would put you on a dive boat all week in Monterey.

Only two companies offer cage diving in the Farallons. When you're choosing between the two (Great White Adventures & Incredible Adventures) you need to look at more than just the advertised price. But if you are looking at pricing, make sure you know what's included. Incredible Adventures looks to be $100 more money...but in truth, it may be the lowest price option, unless you have and are packing your own dive gear. Great White Adventures doesn't supply you with a wetsuit, hood, gloves or booties....which means you'd have to find a local dive suit and rent all that gear. At one time, they sent customers a letter after booking, "strongly suggesting" they "tip" the staff $40 on the boat. Incredible Adventures (cagediver.com) includes dive gear rental and staff gratuity in their pricing. All you need to bring is a mask. Another thing to look at is the difference in boats and departure points. Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom