Who carries their computer in their carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by ScubaDave
I was just talking with a coworker who brought up an interesting point. If you stow your computer in the non pressurized cargo holds then try and dive the next day, you deco times may be messed up. I have flown and stowed before, without problems, but I'd like your opinions please. :confused:

I always carry my dive computers as carry on.. They are expensive and in small packages that would be very easy to get stolen.. Before I started always carrying my computers with me I had a Nitek 3 stolen (the airlines did pay for a replacement) luckily it was on the return flight.

My regs and most other dive gear go to checked baggage.. Thats wahat insurance is for.. The only other gear I take as carryon is my camera gear.

My wife and I each carry our divecomputers, camera and regs in our reg bags as carry-on baggage to and from destinations. I have seen how checked baggage gets handled and there is no way I am trusting my life support gear and that kind of money to the baggage belts. We have never had a problem with security sine 9-11. It just seems to make sense to us.

Originally posted by jgiddings
donacheson

... regardless, I prefer to take my essential gear with me on the plane.

- JG

Same here, but I don't regard a regulator as essential. Prescription mask, bathing suit, skins, toilet articles, a change of clothing are, IMHO, essential. A dive computer is small enough to go into the carryon bag, too.

I too have seen how they handle baggage. Therefore they can't handle mine and I'm not going to pay money so that I can carry things myself. In other words I don't fly unless it's work and I am getting paid. Luckily I don't need a plane to get to caves and wrecks.

Uh, Mike, who cares? I mean is this supposed to be a helpful comment? or just showing off your crustiness? Or possibly you work for the Indiana board of tourism, scuba division?

Seb,
Just voicing my displeasure with the way the airlines treat (have treated) my property. My point is, should we have to carry the important stuff on our person. All my property is important or at least should be to the airline. If the checked bags are not safe why should we check them at all? I put dive equipment on a plane once. I looked out the window just in time to see the guy raise my bag above his head and slam it onto the belt so hard that it bounced off and went rolling accross the tarmac. Now...what is it about my dislike for having my property mistreated that rubbed you the wrong way?

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
Seb,
Just voicing my displeasure with the way the airlines treat (have treated) my property. My point is, should we have to carry the important stuff on our person. All my property is important or at least should be to the airline. If the checked bags are not safe why should we check them at all? I put dive equipment on a plane once. I looked out the window just in time to see the guy raise my bag above his head and slam it onto the belt so hard that it bounced off and went rolling accross the tarmac. Now...what is it about my dislike for having my property mistreated that rubbed you the wrong way?

I hope you wrote a strong letter to the airline citing date, time, airport, and flight number - they would know who serviced the baggage on that aircraft.

That does not, however, remove the bad taste from one's mouth. You're right to remember the incident with distaste.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom