Who dives both PDC & SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Want to get a feel for who dives both or not? I have the VT3 by Oceanic and also a pony gauge on my primary stage; lets me know my fill before I link the VT3 to its transmitter.

I've been thinking of taking the pony back and paying an extra $50 bucks and getting a simple SPG to actually view when my PDC loses contact.

I've been told by some divers it's scary when you don't see at glance your remaing air and thats why they go backup.

I wanted to streamline all my equipment but I'm beginning to feel I shouldn't cut a corner on this one.

What does everyone think; please those in favor of redundant and those for streamline please post!

Thanks,

MG

I'm definitely in favour of having a backup. I don't personally use an air integrated computer. I prefer having an old fashioned gauge that is sure to work. Electronics fail and, in my opinion, should always be backed up by bullet proof technology. I wouldn't take chances on my air. As far as streamlining goes, if the hoses are properly route, it is not a problem.

Thanks trevin,

Can I get more people to voice their opinion???

MG

I check my air maybe 4-5 times a dive. I can usually guess what my PSI/Bar will be before reading the gauge.

I use a spg. They are bulletproof, simple and not prone to failure. For most of the dive it sits out of the way cliped to a waist D ring.

AI strikes me as a gimmick (thats just my own opinion) and computers fail quite often.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I don't dive wireless air at the moment - transmitter flooded 30 minutes into a dive, at 22 metres. Despite the fact that I knew I was fine for air (like Rohan, I generally know what my gauge will say before I look), not being able to check was unpleasant. What made it worse was that I was working, although I don't think any of the divers I was guiding noticed that we went straight to 6m and pottered along the top of the wall for the rest of the dive! So if I ever get around to replacing the transponder (more expensive to fix it than just buy a new one, apparently), I'll definitely be diving redundant. Replacing it's a big if, though - I got to quite like the remaining air-time function on my D9, but now that I don't have it I just do the mental maths based on my normal RMV, and I quite like the mind-exercise.

I dive the predecessor to your VT3 and carry a redundant SPG.

I keep it clipped to my back plate. The HP hose and the gauge are tucked in neatly beside me and do not interfere with my streamlining at all.

the K

I use an SPG and and also carry two computers. The SPG is clipped to a chest D-ring so all I have to do is glance down. The computer on my wrist is AI - I like the feedback of seeing how my breathing rate is affecting bottom time. I've never had a problem with transmission loss except when the transmitter was mounted in the up position rather than down, oddly enough (it's on the right - same side as the computer). My other computer is not AI and is carried in a pocket. The main reason I also carry this one is that it will give me an average depth on the spot so I can calculate SAC (rather than waiting until I get home to upload to my desktop).

I think my setup is like yours. I have an AI wireless computer and a pony gauge mounted on my primary stage. Like you, I use this to confirm initial fill. Since I "always" run out of bottom time (no deco), before air, I'm not too worried if I lost my transmitter. Also, I only partner w/my son or wife. They're both trained in reading my pony gauge.

Not redundant, but it works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom