Who got Lobsters? Ca. opener 10/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FATOPU

Registered
Reaction score
Just looking for reports, Surprised no one on this Board has posted?
Went out Friday eve, I ment Saturday morning. was out freediving for fish from 10-11:30 pm, saw 4 oversized ones just walking aroung hunting like me, in the 1.5 hrs I was out. Got out of the water to don my SCUBA stuff to hunt for lobsters and got in at 11:59 acording to my computer, Caught only three legal ones, my partner caught one and another friend caught none. A couple other groups out at the same spot reported none? My UK Canon went dead after only 40min, Should have changed the batteries after the freedive, got to excited to get back out at midnight. had to cut the dive short, came out with 1000 psi.
Carlsbad, Ca.
Water temp 57 max
Vis poor 5 feet some surge
Beach dive, Max depth 20'
bottom time 40min
most bugs caught in 10' or less.

Went back out this morning (Sunday) 7am caught only 1 freediving. couldnt find any other legal ones, found some too deep in thier holes to get. Had lobster omlet with my wife for breakfast. found a hornshark sleeping in a hole I was looking for lobster, and had a good size Sheepshead follow me around for a while, wish I had my gun to poke it.
Carlsbad, Ca.
Water temp was 62
Vis poor 5-10'
Beach dive, Max depth 17'
time out 1.5hrs

lets hear some Ca. reports.

Five for me, six for my buddy, seven for the third diver on the boat, and one for the free-diver. None really big, mostly just legals.

Redondo Beach
Water temp = 57
Vis - very poor = 3-5'
Max depth = 44'

I got one, maybe a 2 pounder. Grabbed a couple shorts.

Report from Scuba Luv's King Neptune on opening "night..." all 20+ divers got their limits.

Me... I got video, that's all I've taken since about 1975. Fortunately my #1 buddy takes and I get to eat!!

SoCal local shore dives: 3 on opener 10/1, 1 last night 10/2.

---
Ken

Catalina rock quary, limit on opening night.

Got my limit in Malibu - including this 9 pounder (9 lb 0 oz). It was the last bug I caught and it didn't fit in my bag, so I swam back to shore 300-400 yards on the surface while gripping the bug tightly with both hands. I will reconsider doing that next time since my fingers were very close to its mouth. See this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=106370

Does anybody know the weights that won the Sport Chalet Biggest Bug contest? I didn't sign up this year, but maybe I should have.

BTW, I released this guy after the photo shoot (and away from the other divers) since big bugs typically are tough/stringy and they don't fit in any pots! I'd love to see more bugs his size!

Limit on opener at Catalina including a 4 pounder. Watched one twice that size dig a hole under a rock with it's tail and slip right out of my hands. I could not hold onto it. Picked up three more in orange county on Sunday.
I have not seen great numbers of bugs, but what I have seen have been good sized. I also noticed there are not many bugs around the areas that have been inundated with red tide this year. Any one else make any observations?

Looks to me like that guys finger was made to look worse using photoshop. If you look close you can see the blur around it. Probably just ripped off his fingernail. It's a good story though.
Murphdog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom