Who got Lobsters? Ca. opener 10/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also noticed there are not many bugs around the areas that have been inundated with red tide this year. Any one else make any observations?[/QUOTE]

Dove Carlsbad three times this week, we had it bad with the red tide this year, I only got 8 total in 3 attempts. Not any big ones, just legal. I havent heard of any local spots hitting it real good this year? I dont know if the red tide is responsible? My local Dive shop has reports of most people getting none?

10/5
7:45-8:30pm
water temp 53 cold
vis poor 1' to 8' at best?
lots of short ones. only got 3 legals
Carlsbad.

4 more limits last night at the rock quary in Catalina. Back home by midnight, but the crossing was a bit rough.

Limit on 10/1.
Did 4 dives in South Bay area.

hi everyone,
this might sound a little silly to you. but since im only a beginner in spearfishing, couple of questions....
i) how many types of bugs/lobsters/crayfish are there? are they all edible? how do u tell?
ii) how do you kill it? turn it over on its back and stab it in the belly?
iii) whats a legal limit/size?
thanks in advance

kjpwong:
hi everyone,
this might sound a little silly to you. but since im only a beginner in spearfishing, couple of questions....
i) how many types of bugs/lobsters/crayfish are there? are they all edible? how do u tell?
ii) how do you kill it? turn it over on its back and stab it in the belly?
iii) whats a legal limit/size?
thanks in advance

Here in Southern California, there's just one species of lobster/bug/crayfish, Panularis interuptus. They must measure more than 3.25 inches from the eye stalks to the back edge of carapice. Season is October through March. They can only be taken by hand - no poles, spears, hooked devices. Limit is seven in any 24 hour period and seven in possesion. The most humane method of killing a lobster is to push a sharp knife between the eyes and through the head. Some people drop them into boiling water. Others throw them in the freezer and let them go to sleep.

how do you grap it by hand? what parts of the bug are potentially harmful to us?
thanks

kjpwong:
how do you grap it by hand? what parts of the bug are potentially harmful to us?
thanks

Yes, you must grab the lobster by hand (with gloves, of course). The spiny lobsters have spines on the head/horns and nasty cutting hooks under the tail. Gloves protect the hand from the spines, but you don't want to get your fingers under the tail! Lobsters can also bite!

They are quick little buggers, so you have to be fast! My technique is to pin them to the bottom so that I can get a good grip before putting them into the game bag.

I was hopping to get some vis reports and locations as well when I started this thread. May be you guys could post a little more? Thanks,

10/11 11am-12pm
Freedove Carlsbad.
Vis 5-10'
Surf 2-3' = surge.
Water temp 64
Caught 2
Slack tide today, High since 6:49-Higher @ 4:34
Hope Tomorrow is better, surf is going down

3 dives so far, 12 Bugs, none bigger than 1 3/4#. Vis has been poor at the La Jolla reefs since the season opened. Did much better last year, but the viz was better. Took me about 10 minumtes to get out through the shore break at Windnsea.

Back
Top Bottom