Who has easy boat AND dock entries and exits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

Just distracting myself and trying to obsess more about a future trip. Anyone who has read any of my posts lately knows that I am recovering from a knee injury. I am not quite ready to go on a dive trip yet, but trying to plan for the hopefully not too distant future. Although I am hoping to be all healed up by the time I go, in case I tweak something or my leg just gets tired over the course of diving several multiple dive days, I am looking for a setup that has a nice dock entry/exit and a nice boat exit ( back roll no problem - climbing up a ladder a bunch might be problematic after a week of diving - not sure).

From my research on Bonaire it looks like Buddy Dive has a great gradual ladder that I could deal with even now. But I am wondering about boats. I have done some searches and so far I can infer that Divi and Plaza have pretty accessible boats. Does anyone know about the boats at Buddy Dive? It looks from their website that some have swim platforms and some have ladders. Is there anywhere else I am leaving out? I am also open to hearing about Curacao accoms/dive operators too, as those sandy beach entries are sounding pretty good about right now.

Thanks Guys!

On the boat dives, is it the climb up, climb down or both that would be an issue? I used to do a lot of diving (in calm seas) where I would drop my tank/bcd in the water, jump in, slip in, gear up and go down. Same going out, slip out of the BCD, climb up, grab it (or ask the DM to haul it up and climb up the ladder. This method is not suitable everywhere everyday but in Bonaire it should work most days with most crews. If you have not done it before give it a try in the shallows or pool and make the appropriate adjustments based upon whether you are wearing a weight belt or have intergrated weights. You do not want to give up you BCD while keeping your weight belt on if you will be too negative. You may have to hand up your weight belt first.

And check with your provider to see if a neoprene knee sleeve might help. Eric wears one under his wetsuit. Gives him little extra support in the knee along with the wetsuit!

Thanks guys for your comments!

tkaelin - I am more interested in what there is out there beside traditional straight down ladders (some boats say they have swim platforms?). Its the climbing up to exit I worry about - I have never done a climb down entry - just backroll or giant stride. I have actually (pre accident) done the doffing in the water and then hauled my leg over a small boat to exit, so I am familiar with that procedure. YES WEIGHT BELT OFF AND UP FIRST! LOL! Thanks!

thanks for the tip uncfnp!

I honestly hope I am doing much better, but imagine after several days of heavy gear and climbing out my knee may need a little more support or consideration than it did pre-accident.

Okay. Not sure I can help you on boat types with alternatives to ladders. On East Coast Divers it is a pontoon type boat, back roll in, ladder out and probably in rough conditions. The only other boats I have done are with Capt Dons, Newton or Newton type boats with open back, platform at surface level and ladder. Good Luck.

I took a look at google>images for specific dive ops in Bonaire.

Here are some views of the Captn. Don's dock and fleet.:
http://www.crusadertravel.com/worldwide/caribbean/images/CptDonsAerial.jpg
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/03/14/5f/4b/captain-don-s-habitat.jpg
http://www.diverwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Habitat-LuckyLobster-300x220.jpg

Buddy's:
http://www.squbaholidays.com/booking_images/buddy-dive.jpg
http://www.bonairepros.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/divers1-1024x682.jpg
http://www.rnrscuba.net/2011_Bonaire/2011_Bonaire1911.jpg

Divi:
http://www.aquatours.com/bonaire/images_bonaire_flamingo/Dive_dock_horizontal1_HR.jpg
http://www.actionscuba.com/upload/files/Bonaire Scuba Vacation 2013 icon 2 fr.jpg

My recollections of the boats are that they are all similar, though I mostly shore dive. While I am not pushing these resorts, they are the ones I am most familiar with given the needs you expressed. They are the best developed properties (IMHO) regarding easier entry/exit dock facilities combined with a decent house reef.

Front Porch, Something Special and 18th Palm all have easy sand entries for shore diving.

Thanks, now I've got PBD........................again....................................:{

The Toucan Dive boat(s) (Plaza resort) They also have a bigger boat - IDK the configuration. A downside for staying at the Plaza might be that it's a sprawling resort - the diveshop/boats are at the south end and their dive - 18 Palms is closer to the north end.
DiveBoat1.jpg

Bari Reef has nice stairs. Zoom straight in on this panorama. Bari Reef Another view of the dock - and Bonaire Dive/Adventures boats. Bonaire Dive and Adventure

We stay at Belmar. The other Buddy Dive shop is onsite there. This is their new (2010) dock.
Belmar Apartments' New Dock is Finished : Bonaire News | BonairePros.com Buddy's sends a boat down a couple times a week afaik.

Last edited:
tkalein, thanks for the information, I guess I am not really familiar with what a swim platform is - I guess its where you can beach up and then de-gear? Thanks for the tips. I will google Newton type boat.

Also thanks to gert and steve for all of those pictures. I had been googling and been to their sites and the descriptions and photos are helpful for the ladder conundrum, but for the boats I am just not sure, lol. I guess I am interested in what style of boat you guys would recommend and where that was to be found. It sounds like any of places mentioned would work out fine. So, thanks for helping me find good places.

We stayed at Sand Dollar and dove BDA and LOVE their dock setup and house reef but I am not sure about the boat dives as were a little less than impressed with the helpfulness of some of the DMs. I can't imagine the response I would get if I did anything other than backroll off as immediately as possible and climb up the ladder as quickly as possible when I was done. I can't fathom asking for extra help handing up gear. Also, we were there in low season and they were only running one boat, so I didn't experience all the boats firsthand. Once again, it was more of wanting a helpful vibe in case I might need some help this next time around as the week progresses. And of course a great house reef with nice stairs.

Whew - you guys are awesome!

I guess its down to Bari, Buddy's or Don's

I guess its down to Bari, Buddy's or Don's

There is no "Bari" dive operation. The dock shown in diversteve's Bari link above is the BDA dock at Den Laman.

So maybe that narrows the choices down even further. :vintagediver:

Diverjen,

If its not too personal, what is the concern with the knee? Is it an actual limitation or more the concern of reinjury? Are you worried about giant stride entry? I routinely do a back roll off boats with platforms to protect my camera and have never had an issue although i have not been on any Bonaire dive boat except on one east side trip. And climbing up the ladder on return does need a degree of range of motion but is probably more of a strength issue. If you've been cleared by the orthopedist for full activity by then there is probably limited risk with entry and if water calm, boat rentry by ladder should not be too risky either. Pushing up weighted is the main worry so it would be good to confirm with dive boat the option of handing up some of the weight or getting assistance (DM willing to pull up) as you climb the ladder in case that is needed. I think entry and exit from dock will be pretty much the same as boat if the dock uses a ladder. Stair like entry would seem ideal.

As for shore, I can see more concern of reinjury there. The surf, uneven shore and rocks are a combination just waiting to throw out a knee. There are several though that are relative easy. Bari and Andrea II come to mind as well as the Cliff entering from Dive Friends at Hamlet. Depending on your dive partner, another shore option, and I have seen this done, is for you to enter the water with your fins and mask then don the BC with the tank in the water after your buddy has carried it there for you.

I've tried to talk Eric into this maneuver but no luck yet! :D

I mentioned the knee sleeve in a previous post and that is still an option, but with a history of dislocation, you may want more support along the sides. I don't know if they make a knee brace that is saltwater certified but it might be worth asking! And if you are going through physical therapy, mention you are a diver and the movements required for diving. They may be able to design/adapt some of your exercises to strength your knee specific to those tasks. Can't hurt to ask!

Good Luck in your search,

Lisa

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom