Who hates their DUI drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can find plenty of negatives about my suit - but I don't think the competition does much better.

Sure, the Rock Boots are a bit bulky - but you can find alternatives - and have you seen the winter mountaineering equipment what used to come with the Fusion? (I heard they improved since - still, in the group of people I dive with Converse seems to be the boot of choice for both Whites and DUI divers).

I've had (very) damp arms a couple time until I switched to dry gloves - but with my wrists, no seal will ever work. And the zip neck seals (and wrists if you're using wet gloves) rock.

DUI doesn't offer a good option for removable dry gloves maintaining a wrist seal - but nobody seems to. I've seen a bunch of glove ring systems now and most of them stay in the 'can be convinced to work with some effort' category. I'm still looking for the ultimate system.

I've also seen a lot of DUI people come back from their dives drenched. But statistically it's on par with other brands. The drysuit models I haven't seen flooded yet are the ones I rarely see.

If you end up spending a lot of cash and end up being one of those unlucky divers coming back damp or wet regularly - you won't be happy no matter where your suit comes from. But although it would be easy to blame a brand, a model, a particular drysuit or a particular diver, it would not be supported by what I've seen (so far).

All of those small imperfections considered, am I happy with my TLS and would I buy the same thing again? Definitely.

I have very wide foot (EEE) and the DUI boots are too narrow to the point where I need size 14 - 15. Are the Converse boots better in this issue?

I don't know about Converse sizing.

I bought Chucks because they were half the price of rock boots. Also because they were red. :) I also used an awl to sew on some webbing at the back of the shoe to help me pull them on.

I love my TLS 350 so much I just picked up a second! Very comfortable to dive, quick to dry, the zip seals make rips a non issue!

Yes. If I knew that the response would be this positive I would surely have called it that. .

You can ask a Mod to change the title - hint hint!

Ok, I'll be the jerk.

In 30 years I've owned and dove six different suits from 4 different manufacturers.

The DUI's were the worst of the bunch.
  • Expensive
  • Not great workmanship
  • Leaked often
  • Long turn around for repairs for these often leaks
  • Repairs were expensive
  • Repairs often leaked, too

I let DUI try for two suits, and watched others around me have the same problems. Never again. My O'Neil Supersuit was better.

All the best, James

Used DUI Flex 50/50 (lower half is crushed neoprene, upper half is a shell like 350 type material)
I suspect it was a rental suit from a faded number and size written on it in felt pen, I had to get a new zipper (pliers and spray lubricant to budge it) and a new (smaller) neck zip seal but the stock looking zip seals on the arms are still going and it's quite dry (if a bit heavy when wet)

I bought a used TLS-350 with a zip seal on the neck, rock boots, and Diving Concepts ring gloves. The DUI rock boots were to big so I bought some chuck taylors. The suit has only been "moist" on the inside once or twice and I thought it might have been sweat? The ring gloves took some getting used to but once I found the right size gloves and learned how to don/doff them I was good. Still working on perfecting my buoyancy during ascent/safety stop. Do I love my DUI? I'll say yes.

Do you use ankle weights on your DUI or is that just for beginners?

They looked so light and rugged when I examined them in yesterday in the Baltimore DC Dive show. I loved the TLS the best. I never expected them to be like this because I head read a lot of negative reviews about the suit. Like DUI = Dry Until Immersed and TLS = The Leaky Suit etc. I just wanted to ask who loves their DUI suit VS Who hates then and why?:idk:

I just recently found out that my TLS350 is dead. I sent it down to DUI because I've been chasing a leak that I just couldn't find, and they sent me back a repair estimate that basically said it needs seals, booties, and zipper. In fairness, I purchased this suit in 2006 and it's got way over 1,000 dives on it. But I decided it's not worth fixing. Time for (another) new suit.

This suit has had many leaks over the years. I'm one of those people who jokes around about what DUI stands for. On the other hand, this is the suit that has made me the happiest out of the seven drysuits I've owned. It fits me perfectly ... and is as comfortable as my favorite pair of blue jeans. It's light weight makes it the perfect travelling suit. And, frankly, I'm willing to put up with a few leaks here and there for all the joy I've experienced in it over the past few years.

Despite the fact that I could get a sweet deal on several other brands through professional associations, I'm considering getting another one just like it.

CIMG7438-1.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Despite the fact that I could get a sweet deal on several other brands through professional associations, I'm considering getting another one just like it. (Grateful Diver)

Nice picture Bob :)

Have you considered the new DUI Flex Extreme?

Henrik

Nice picture Bob :)

Have you considered the new DUI Flex Extreme?

Henrik

Not Bob, but when my TLS finally craps the bed, I'm going with the FLX Extreme.

Though that said, I LOVE my TLS and I hope to get many more (dry!) dives out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom