• Yes, I am.

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • No, I am not.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • No, but I can't wait to try!

Votes: 25 31.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the hard things about living in this part of the country is having to deal with landowners that have been dumped on and told a story up one side and down the other by divers that but promise a map or video or even GOLD out of their cave. I have had to work so hard the last few years proving to these guys or gals that I do what I say I am going to do and stick with it. Now I have a list of land owners that stand behind me when I am working on access to other caves. You would not belive some of the stories that were told to them about what the divers would do if they have access to their systems.! So as of now, there are only a select few that dive like I do and team think that get to go into those systems.

On another note: What is the longest penetration as of now for a midwest cave? Anyone know? Hint--The system is less than 100ft in depth most of the time and water temp around 65. Viz is like Florida and the cave is in the western part of the state of Ok, MO, TX, NM. So what cave am I talking about. Oh, the cave is also cared for by the state I think. Talk to you later and going to Kris Kream(sp) for breakfast after I run a few miles.

Joe

I rarely took sides in this debate until weekend before last. Our little team was invited to check out some sites by a landowner. A big complement and a trust we plan on honoring.

So imagine our surprise and disgust when we found line left in from a previous "sneak" dive. The owners were, needless to say, concerned over trespassing. Moreso since the location requires real determination to reach.

Also, nothing is more irritating to do this kind of work, put up with the inconvenience, ticks, etc. just to have your efforts ruined by thoughtless "claim jumpers".

I'm a member of the NSS and paramount with them is landowner relations. There are entire workshops devoted to caver/owner relations. Sadly, there are still too many "outlaw" cavers and cavedivers who will cut fences, damage roads, and trash sites to get their "fix" ;-0

The end result is a loss for us all. So the only thing we can do is keep our secrets in hopes of limiting the abuses.

Dive Safe
Brock

What type of line did you find in the spring/cave? You can sometimes tell a time frame from the type of line that you pulled out. Was the line knotted?

Joe

and it was standard #24 braided cave line. From the algea stains we figure it had been in there less than a year.

Not kewl, dudes. Behavior like this led to Florida landowners dynamiting cave entrances.

There's plenty of cave for all. Ya just gotta ask, show some respect, and know your stuff.

Dive safe
Brock

So far I've made three cavern dives (with an instructor) at Morrison Springs. I'm not going to say that I won't ever Cave Dive, But....I'm not ready yet.

Jarhead

I am NACD Full Cave certified as of last September, and also a member of the NSS-CDS. I am planning to try to get back to Florida sometime in July and do a little cave diving. In the meantime I will spend time in any puddle of mud deep enough for me to stick my head into. Especially that big puddle of mud they call the Gulf of Mexico.

As far as anyone doing cave penetrations in Texas, color me interested. I am working on trying to get access to a couple of dive sites (not caves tho) here locally and know first hand how hard it can be to obtain favorable land owner relationships.

While I haven't been able to get back to Florida since my training yet, I continue to practice cave skills in a local lake that is perfect for it. Low vis on the best of days and lots of silt give me ample opportunity to practice line work and anti-silting techniques. Shallow depth of the lake also makes proper bouyancy control a must.

Anyone who is working on a new dive site, especially an OHE and can use any assistance, let me know.

Dive often, but dive safe

John

Florida next week. Two weeks after we get back we will head to Missouri.

I voted no, but cant wait....but actually, I can't afford not to wait...I like reading boards like these for multiple reasons...the main one is "Knowledge"...You can never have enough...especially in sports w/ little or no margin for error...I will cave dive some day....but that day will not come until I know that I have done all that I can to prepare myself for it...Example...I have been skydiving since 92...I have been wanting to BASE jump since before that time...the past two years, I have been reading ...studying....and hanging out w/ people in the sport...Soaking up as much as I could before I make that first jump....My first jump, should be this fall...but not before I know that I am ready.....

"It is one thing to be in the proximity of death, to know more or less what she is, and it is quite another thing to seek her." -- Ernest Hemingway

No matter what sport your into...Play hard...take it to the next level....but not before you are ready....Stay safe....

Kenny=-)

Roubidoux las week and again week after next. When condition deteriorate at Roubidoux we are going to start some room surveys at Mine Lamotte for a project already in progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom