Who is diving after Covid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordHavoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How many on this board have gone back to diving after Covid? specially technical diving? How is your body taking it? Any DCS hits?

I had a covid hit that felt like a flu bug with fever and aches, only mild respiratory issues. Im back to diving, including cave and tech. So far no issues.

I was back in the water 3 weeks later. Fairly benign dives, less than 100 feet with under 10 minutes of deco. No discernible difference from prior.

Before testing was available, my wife got covid (she ticked every symptom) then I got the worst headaches of my life a day later. No other symptoms, went to see an hyperbaric doctor and got signed off.

No issues since then.

Covid in January. Back in the water in April to get the wife certified... but to be perfectly clear I put a 14x16 pitched roof on my shed during my "quarantine" week.

Covid in Feb, 3 days of sore throat then complete recovery. Only done 8 dives since then but not noticed any issues.

While it's nice to hear you all have recovered and been able to return to diving, and maybe this was just an oversight when some of you posted, but I don't see anyone other than BlueTrin posting that they got got medically-cleared to dive.

The UCSD medical folks, who are generally the centralized COVID reference standard, recommend a diving medical check-up that includes a chest x-ray (should be clean) and a spirometry test (measures lung volume) that both register within normal limits for your sex/age/height/weight.

FTR, I had COVID - fairly mild but knocked me on my butt for one day - in October 2021. I returned to recreational diving about 30 days later following the above medial guidelines and then 90 days later was re-approved to resume my Aquarium of the Pacific volunteer diving following a second medical clearance. (AOP had a mandatory 90 days out-of-the-water policy at that time.) No tech diving for this guy before or after.

I got what I believe is COVID Omicron strain in Dec 2021 (testing capacity was booked out so no way to be sure), pretty typical case for a vaccinated person a few days of what felt like major allergies/head cold. I missed a week of diving (a planned week anyways), but went straight back to technical diving. Including trimix and nitrox dives with 20 minutes of oxygen deco. Don't really notice any differences.

I had a round of it between getting certified and getting my gear together to go on my own. I feel like I still have some remaining leg weakness and had problems on a long surface swim yesterday with cramping, which I have never had before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom