Who is responsible for a minor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see the significance concerning loss of life or limb. Most parents are (at first) highly forgiving when one of their punk kids gets into trouble. If dead it's all tears for Johnny. The only problem I see here is that you will be in for a raft of sh** if your parents find out you disregarded their instructions and went off diving anyway. They might shut off your diving and bucks for a while. How about whether it is in your future best economic interests to defy your parents' wishes, like college money or a place to crash while you are bumming around? Is some diving worth it? I don't know what the legal ramifications would be in Canada but with your 'fantastic' health care system up there I'm sure that the medicos will take good care of you if you get in trouble. If I was in your shoes I'd go ahead and go diving and hope for the best. Parents and common sense be damned.

Brilliant. Way to help a maturing young man earn his parents' trust. I just found another person I'd never trust as a buddy.

Son, some times you just have to suck it up and do the right thing. I sure feel for you and can't say I wouldn't be tempted to take the bad advice this idiot just gave you but it's 100% the wrong thing to do.

There are other great things to do with some freedom. Use it wisely and you'll probably be amazed at the good things that come down the pike from your parents when they find that you've listened to them.

Good luck.

DALAJS,

Since this thread is still alive, allow me to repeat myself: you are 17 - man up. Angst impresses the insecure. Angst doesn't impress adults, action does. Being an adult is about taking **** and dealing with it. Tell your parents that if you were to go diving you would be safe, but you understand that they would be worried if you dove in their absence, so you chose to make them happy by not diving in their absence. Perhaps suggest that they might want to contribute to a pizza fund as a concession.

Be a man about this, DALAJS

Just wait! I was in your shoes once a long time ago. My dad forgot more about diving than I knew when I was 17. He was a ww2 frogman. Your parents are only looking out for you! Make your parents proud and wait....when they get back have all your plans written out and they will know you are taking this sport in the manner it should be. You don't plan a dive for the what if can happen , but the what can happen!
See You topside John

Let your parents have a 'worry free holiday' but most of all don't break the trust they have in you - trust is a powerful thing and once it's been broken you'll never fully get it back.

They both make very good points. You seem to love and respect your parents very much. Do what you know is the right decision and not dive while they're gone. You have 60-70 years ahead of you to all the diving you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom