Who is the Apple of the scuba world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering Apple is turning into another Sony (very proprietary trying to rule with an iron fist-although Sony has fallen), I'd look for the Android of the scuba world :wink:

I used to be an apple fan. I have a mac pro, unibody macbook pro, iphone, and new ipod nano (great for jogging).
But I didn't like where apple started heading so this year I built my own custom water cooled PC, use the iphone as a backup alarm, and plan on selling both the mac pro and macbook pro.

For the purpose of scuba however, I'll say I agree with saxplayer on page 6:

Halcyon and Atomic, no question.
Over-priced, always pushing new products that you "need", have a fanatical following, but produce top quality innovative gear

How can jet fins be the apple of the scuba world? They haven't changed the damn things in 60 years...

Aqualung and Scubapro come in a close second to the above mentioned, but they're a bit more reasonably priced, and aren't on the "cutting edge" of a lot of products.

DiveRite doesn't remind me of Apple, mainly because there is so cult following, and it's not insanely overpriced for what it is, but for solid reliable gear that you can count on, it goes to them

When you refer to the "Apple" of scuba gear, do you mean "Apple" like "The apple of my eye?" Certainly you can't be referring to those P.O.S. toy computers that go by the name Apple?

If you are referring to "Apple" scuba gear, like Apple the computer, then you are interested in toys that are not for serious divers?

I have heard about the legions of Apple fanboys, but, at least here on Scubaboard, there seem to be more anti-Apple fanboys. I really don't get why people seem to have so much emotion invested in what type of computer or phone or mp3 player a person uses. I am almost completely indifferent on brand for those items. As to the OP's well-defined question,
[which brand] makes amazing products, easy to use, solid, reliable, they really think through how the user will interact with the product, stands by their products and continually innovates?
I would say Atomic, based on the regulators I own, the mask that I have tried, and what I have read.

I have heard about the legions of Apple fanboys, but, at least here on Scubaboard, there seem to be more anti-Apple fanboys. I really don't get why people seem to have so much emotion invested in what type of computer or phone or mp3 player a person uses. I am almost completely indifferent on brand for those items. As to the OP's well-defined question,

I would say Atomic, based on the regulators I own, the mask that I have tried, and what I have read.

The workmanship and design of my new Atomic ST1 is simply superb. I am replacing my fleet of Scubapro regs which require servicing every year as opposed to Atomic's two year interval....

This a bit OT:

I'm just glad and happy that some of the stuff I bought before my first OW class was from companies mentioned in this thread repeatedly.

Apeks (regs) and Zeagle (BCD)

Not sure if they are "Apple of scuba gear" but they surely work as expected...

BTW, I wouldn't be able to make those buying decisions w/o Scubaboard's zillion of helpful posts. So, thanks Scubaboard:wink:

I have heard about the legions of Apple fanboys, but, at least here on Scubaboard, there seem to be more anti-Apple fanboys.

Very much so. I've used a number of Macs & PCs, greatly prefer the Mac, and there are many professionals who do 'real work' on Macs and like them fine. Being stylish, simpler & more comfortable to use does not make a computer a 'toy.' It's also worth noting you can run Windows on a Mac, so by owning a Mac, I can run either operating system. So, ironically, I actually get more choice in that way using a Mac!

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom