Who knows about swimming pools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure you liability insurance is paid up and that you are covered for this. Hull cleaning is one thing. Life safety codes are a whole other ball of wax. If someone gets hurt and you installed it they are coming after you as the contractor.
Yeah, I've considered that. I think I'll call my insurance broker tomorrow and run it past her.

There is more to it than fit. It can fit and still not be a proper installation. The installation paperwork is important to you and will be a major source of protection for you. The paperwork is important to the owner because it shows what was installed and the accepted lifespan of what was installed.

Not following directions is not an option.

I agree with what the two above have said PLUS you need a fail safe lockout on the pump.

Jobs like these seem easy and make some quick bucks. But more often than not people cut corners and that is what gets a recreational diver in the loop. Cutting the corners is a crap shoot which can cost the diver big time.

Gary D.

Not sure what you are referencing here. If you are talking about lock out/ tag out on the pump while the work is being done, absolutly. If you are talking about a safety vacuum release system (SVRS) that is governed by the more stringent of VGB or CA state code, or local code. Not really within the scope of his work.

Not sure what you are referencing here. If you are talking about lock out/ tag out on the pump while the work is being done, absolutly. If you are talking about a safety vacuum release system (SVRS) that is governed by the more stringent of VGB or CA state code, or local code. Not really within the scope of his work.

Lockout on the pump. Your lock on the door, you pull the circut breakers and what ever it takes to make sure the pump can't be started.

Gary D.

Locking out the pump is critical, but then so is closing the gate valve that controls the drain and locking it closed or at least having an assistant stand by next to it. There are also some pools that have inlets in the bottom to let ground water into the pool that need to be considered.

Locking out the pump is critical, but then so is closing the gate valve that controls the drain and locking it closed or at least having an assistant stand by next to it. There are also some pools that have inlets in the bottom to let ground water into the pool that need to be considered.

Good point. If someone were to crack open the filter container or something else in the line it could hold the diver to the bottom.

Gary D.

There are also some pools that have inlets in the bottom to let ground water into the pool that need to be considered.

This is only an issue if you drain the pool. Those are hydrostatic relief. Draining the pool to replace the covers aleviates the need for a diver.

They're there to keep the pool from popping up out of the soil. I'd think it a concern if the pool was full, the water table was down and the one way valve were to fail, a little farfetched, but you could get pinned to the bottom.

They're there to keep the pool from popping up out of the soil. I'd think it a concern if the pool was full, the water table was down and the one way valve were to fail, a little farfetched, but you could get pinned to the bottom.

Pools pop out of the ground due to hydrostatic pressure. This is only an issue if the pool is empty. It is not a one way valve, it is a plug in a hole. Most commonly, on current construction, the hole and plug is in the main drain sump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom