Who owns your hobby?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In every endeavor there are going to be elitists. People or groups who, for one reason or another, believe they can make a claim to the "properties" of the act being performed. People who put themselves forth as "authorities" by the sheer thrust of hot-air...
A wise person once told me, "Rick, if you're worried about how people think of you, remember, people don't."

I just don't get so worked up about how other people think about my diving. I have enough challenges of my own to worry about. But I do enjoy divers of all types, and there is almost no one I can't learn from. Even someone fitting your definition of elitist might have something to teach me if I can put my ego aside long enough to pay attention.

A person who categorizes certain people as "elitists" and treats them differently because of it, is in danger of becoming that which they despise.

A wise person once told me, "Rick, if you're worried about how people think of you, remember, people don't."

That person was wise!

A wise person once told me, "Rick, if you're worried about how people think of you, remember, people don't." I just don't get so worked up about how other people think about my diving. I have enough challenges of my own to worry about.

It's true. When my wife and I were first learning to ballroom dance, we were afraid to get out on the floor, fearing that everyone's eyes were on us -- waiting for us to screw up! With time we realized that no one was watching us. They had enough worries just trying to remember their own moves. That realization freed us to just get out there and have fun. If we messed up, so what? No one is perfect!

A beginner's insecurity may cause one to compare himself to others if for no other reason than to make sure he is doing everything right. This is not a bad thing. New divers should develop some idea of what constitutes a good diver, and they should try to copy them. Then, as they gain skill and confidence, they become less reliant upon such comparisons and can simply enjoy the view and the experience.

A person who categorizes certain people as "elitists" and treats them differently because of it, is in danger of becoming that which they despise.

Also true. It seems to be a law of nature that we tend to become like those we focus upon. All the more reason to find positive role models to emulate rather than negative ones to avoid.

Looks like we got off on the wrong foot. I would agree with you on this.

R..

No worries.

It's true. When my wife and I were first learning to ballroom dance, we were afraid to get out on the floor, fearing that everyone's eyes were on us -- waiting for us to screw up! With time we realized that no one was watching us. They had enough worries just trying to remember their own moves. That realization freed us to just get out there and have fun. If we messed up, so what? No one is perfect!

Good observation.

Um... I'm a Dork Diver. No one owns my activity!

Unfortunately the bank owns my gear... but it is submerging too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom