who should I book a liveaboard through

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadivingtom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Who should I use to book a liveaboard?
I have only been on one liveaboard, and that was in Thailand booked through a dive shop there. I am close to retirement, and I would like to go on a lot of these trips. Around 6 per year.
I would be able to go on a moments notice if I knew where to find the last minute deals. I am single so I am not sure if that causes a problem diving liveaboards.
Thanks
Tom

Last minute single on a LOB is your best bet to get a full cabin with no room mate. Being a single diver on a LOB is only a problem if your cabin mate snores louder than you do.

We book direct with the LOB company. We are signed up for their email newsletters so we get a continual stream of emails advertising last minute deals.

Use your Google-Fu and sign up fro as many email newsletters as you can...

Look at Diviac and Liveaboards.com. Specials, discounts, and no wandering through a hundred liveaboard websites.

Undercurrent is doing an article on this very subject next month.

I often travel alone & fairly often like to take off at the last minute. While I haven't yet taken a trip through Diviac, I think they seem like a good option & they are on my radar.

What has worked for me so far with last minute trips:
  • Find liveaboards in general that look delightful & sign up for their newsletters. Sometimes, I see things there I don't see on other sites and/or sometimes I see things there in advance of other sites so it means I get first dibs. The newsletters also sometimes make me decide to take a trip when I hadn't been planning on one...which some people think is bad, but I suspect both you & I think this is a good thing. :)
  • Check a variety of forums for special trips. I personally like to check ScubaBoard & dive groups on Facebook--just do a search for the word scuba/dive/etc. & join the group in advance. I also like to do a last minute search Facebook for the word "liveaboard", change "Date Posted" on the lower left side to 2017 & then scroll down looking at all the posts. It'll show posts from friends as well as public posts across Facebook.
  • Check with my local dive shop. They do advance planning for liveaboard trips so generally this isn't a last minute thing, but sometimes it can be because they had a last minute cancellation. +The trips can be fantastic & you can make friends/buddies for life. My local dive shop also tries to buddy me up with someone they think would be a good match for me since they know me.
  • Check with dive clubs & dive travel groups whether anything is already posted & also post that I'm looking for a liveaboard trip. I do this not only for my local dive clubs/travel groups, but for a number of them all over the US & world that seem cool. For example: I live in nyc, but there's a travel group just for women in North Carolina which I follow. And a group of divers who are mainly based in Europe, but adore worldwide dive travel.

Is there a company that specializes in last-minute liveaboards? My problem has been that many liveaboards book up farther in advance--a year or more--than I am able to foresee whether I will have free time.

Back
Top Bottom