Who thinks diving sucks around here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an age old argument, really. I recall awhile back someone on SB debating with his friend/buddy about who is the better diver. One diver lived near the great lakes (where he dove most of the time), and the other lived and dove off the north Atlantic. They both have currents, dark green cold water, tides, surf, boat traffic etc... It came down to salt content? Don't Ask! After living in the Florida Keys...heck yeah, I would much rather dive in warm, clear, subtropical water. Tides, currents, fishing line from an abundance of anglers I encountered, surf, a lot of boat traffic etc... I would take that over Missouri any day. Being a well rounded diver makes a better and safer diver. Becoming familiar with a location should be taken into consideration.

Just to chime in on this one, I think there is some great diving to be experienced throughout the Ozark and Ouachita regions. It's a shame that more people don't take advantage of opportunities to dive, and mostly it is due to the remoteness of suitable locations from a dive shop and compressor for tank fills.

Up in the mountains of Oklahoma and Arkansas, you can find a lot of rivers and creeks that are fun to explore, not to mention some impoundments with really clear water. I'm constantly amazed by the number of divers in Oklahoma who've never been to Broken Bow lake in the SE part of the state, for example, or to Lake Ouachita in Arkansas (. The rivers are a lot of fun to explore and float trips are a great way to do it. That means a canoe and a pair of tanks or hookah rig, as you'll be a good distance from dive shops.

People often tip canoes and kayaks or other boats below shoals or rapids and if you explore such holes, you may find everything from fishing gear and guns to jewelery. Take a fishing pole and enjoy fishing for largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, goggle-eyed perch, catfish and more as you travel between holes. If you're the kind of person that likes to float, camp, fish and dive altogether, it's a blast. If you ONLY want to dive and not lug tanks around or float in a boat or raft of some sort...you might not enjoy the rivers and streams as a dive destination.

That still leaves a lot of lakes, some small and some not so small, that you can dive. I enjoy diving through the Ozark, Ouachita and Kiamichi mountain ranges. Get yourself a pair of HP steel 120s or 130s and then rent another two or three for a few days and plan a route...or take a hookah rig for two and a partner. A 4 wheel drive and some camping gear will get you to some interesting places as well.

Just my two cents worth. Hope everyone has a great week.

I have only been diving two places, Missouri and Cozumel. You can probably guess my opinion.

I still dive here at home in Mo. It keeps me in practice for the diving I love in CZM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom