Who trained these idiots??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrolling may not be the most efficient choice, but it's better than sitting around acting like there's nothing that can be done. Give me a month on the island and I guarantee id find out who is doing it. Where do you think all the batteries and radios go? It's a small place, someone's buying the stolen stuff. Do a sting, put a gps in a battery, track it. Make an example out of them.

I don't understand your obsession with crime on Bonaire or why you believe this discussion should be part of this thread. If you feel there is too much crime on Bonaire, then just don't go there.

I'm fairly confident this is the only time I've discussed Bonaire crime online. It started with me drawing a parallel between the lack of marine law enforcement and petty theft, that's why it's in this thread. It went downhill from there because I felt compelled to argue with a few apologists. You can be fond of a locale and admit its faults, well some can.

My last statement on the matter. If theft is really no problem at all like some here believe, why would Buddy Dive go through the trouble of printing vinyl stickers that instruct you to leave your door unlocked and your window cracked, for everyone of their (numerous) rental trucks? That information is also included in the orientation. The reason given? So that people won't break the window in their effort to steal what's inside the truck.

Last edited:
Where have you ever seen anyone say that crime was no problem at all on Bonaire? :idk:

I can personally attest to two thefts of dive gear just last week, plus another SB diver posted about a third theft of regulator and dive computer, that all happened the same week, and not from trucks but from resort gear lockers.

In spite of all the :soapbox: about the local crime, all three thefts were by other divers, (not by native Bonaire-ians, with the local police protecting them, as is so often suggested here on SB). For years there has been a strong suspicion among regular Bonaire visitors that a lot more than a few of the thefts from trucks have been done by light fingered fellow divers, who feel they can just help themselves to anything they desire, as long as no one is right there watching them. No one suspects another diver on the same site, while we are extremely, instinctively alert to anyone at that site who does not look to be diving.

Thefts can happen anywhere, and Bonaire is not an exception. What happens on Bonaire is that we seem to drop our guard a bit too much because everything seems so easy going and safe. Anytime you drop your guard and forget to take simple precautions that would be second nature in another environment you perceive as threatening, you have left yourself open to abuse by those who can not resist a tempting tidbit they see close at hand.

No one can truly say they know what percentage of these thefts are by local thieves, and what percent is theft by Light Fingered Louis, one of our fellow divers. One estimate I have heard several times now from a few regular visitors is that probably @60% of these thefts are done by fellow divers who simply take an easy opportunity to grab an item from us when they see the chance. I know that was the case in all three thefts from the Buddy Dive gear room between May 10 and 17.

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 08:24 AM ----------

As those thefts, and the video show, just because someone is a "diver" that does not make them a modal of perfection, character, or moral fiber.

It's called common sense, that's why.

What's better, to have your stuff stolen, and have to pay for a new window, or just your stuff stolen? The stickers are a common sense measure to protect you from paying more- not a comment on crime.

Crime happens because humans are humans. But if you follow the rules, you won't usually be a victim. Petty theft happens if you're careless. Avoiding that is exceptionally simple; don't take anything that you care about, or need and won't dive with. Do that, and there is no petty theft. Let them root around your truck- who cares? More serious theft (like your battery) is quite rare. It happens, but it is very rare- much less than most any place in the States or the Caribbean.

You sound just like another poster who was all up in arms about crime, but yet had no good ideas how to stop, or even lessen it. You sound just like him; wanting to take expensive toys, leave them unattended and expect for them to be there when you return.

You started this as an excuse to vent about what happened to you. There is no parallel between petty crime and what was in the video. I am as guilty as you for sidetracking it but this will be the last post on the matter. We have several threads about crime in Bonaire already. Please go there to vent about your incident, and stop sidetracking the discussion and insulting the other posters here.

I'm fairly confident this is the only time I've discussed Bonaire crime online. It started with me drawing a parallel between the lack of marine law enforcement and petty theft, that's why it's in this thread. It went downhill from there because I felt compelled to argue with a few apologists. You can be fond of a locale and admit its faults, well some can.

My last statement on the matter. If theft is really no problem at all like some here believe, why would Buddy Dive go through the trouble of printing vinyl stickers that instruct you to leave your door unlocked and your window cracked, for everyone of their (numerous) rental trucks? That information is also included in the orientation. The reason given? So that people won't break the window in their effort to steal what's inside the truck.

Some stretch, that is ... better hold on to that rubber band:wink:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

As suggested by T.C. it would be a good idea to focus on the topic of the thread and avoid the hijack on general crime on Bonaire so one of us doesn't have to come in and start deleting posts or splitting to another thread.

My apologies for changing the topic...

i think it is pretty awesome that STINAPA contacted these people. It would be great if they set up a list of offenders and sent it out to all the dive ops, maybe even a page on their website for offenders.

That is a great idea. By filtering out people that are known to cause problems, it avoids the difficulty of government bureacracy, the problems of legality for denying entry, and simplifies the entire process.

I seriously believe that if there is not something like this in place, that you should contact STINAPA and suggest it. The cost would be low to them, (maintaining a database) and the potential benefit huge. Plus, it doesn't force any operation to take action, but those that publically state they will not do business with those on the STINAPA list will quickly become known as a cut above the rest.

Please, suggest your idea!

My apologies for changing the topic...

i think it is pretty awesome that STINAPA contacted these people. It would be great if they set up a list of offenders and sent it out to all the dive ops, maybe even a page on their website for offenders.

Good idea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom