Who wants to go noodling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
When the water warms up, who wants to go noodling for some big catfish (with scuba gear)? Its been something I've wanted to do since viewing "Okie Noodling". I don't really have a desire to harm or eat the fish, just want to get my picture taken with a huge cat.

Noodling is reaching your hand inside of a catfish's mouth, wiggling it around until the catfish bites down, then pulling the fish to the surface.

Heres a quote from a website about Noodling "...wading out into a muddy river, reaching down deep underwater into a dark hole and wiggling your fingers as bait hoping that a giant catfish will clamp down on your hand so you can pull it out of the hole, without getting pulled in yourself. That's a basic description of catfish Noodling, or the sport of fishing for catfish by hand."

Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Sorry, but I don't drink that much anymore.

Never thought about using scuba though!

Mark

I grew up in Kansas and it was kind of a right of passage when the boys were old enough to go catch the big cats. Biggest I ever pulled was 43 pounds. I never "wiggled my fingers" we would find them in holes along the river bank and stroke them to calm them down, then grab the gills and slowly pull them out. They stay pretty calm till they get about a foot from the surface. Then it's a hell of a ride trying to get them in a burlap sack.

:wink:

DavidPT40:
When the water warms up, who wants to go noodling for some big catfish (with scuba gear)? Its been something I've wanted to do since viewing "Okie Noodling". I don't really have a desire to harm or eat the fish, just want to get my picture taken with a huge cat.

I can't find anything about noodling in the DIR manual I picked up over at NH.

DavidPT40:

I saw that video, and it had to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen!

jsbromley:
I saw that video, and it had to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen!

Please tell us where we can see this video so we can all have one heck of a laugh too.

DavidPT40:
I've never been noodling with scuba gear but it seems like removing the possibility that a monster could drag you under and drown you takes some of the fun out of it. :wink:

More importantly, if I'm going noodling, I'm very definitely going to harm anything that bites me - skinned, gutted, fileted, breaded, deep fried and served with a mess of hush puppies and even more cold beer. Otherwise, aren't you just torturing the critter - and your tummy?

Okie Noodling trailer: http://www.okienoodling.com/trailer.html

Don't laugh too hard - it's good fun and it usually leads to a good meal.

LexingtonDiver:
Please tell us where we can see this video so we can all have one heck of a laugh too.

I actually saw it on PBS, but I have seen it offered at Best Buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom